Chasing NS 1067-Reading Heritage

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

stlgevo51

Steam Chaser
Yesterday around 9 pm I got confirmation that NS 1067, the Reading heritage unit, would be coming east on train 111. The only problem was that it was 3rd in a consist of 6 units. Usually 111 works the yard in Wentzville, MO, about 30 miles east of St. Louis, around 5 or 6 am. Since I live pretty close to the yard, I got up about 4:40 to try to catch it. The moment I arrived in Wentzville, I saw a headlight piercing the still-dark sky, and 111 pulled in with 1067 looking good. I took a video only because it was still too dark for pictures. After about 25 minutes, 11 departed for St. Louis. I raced ahead to St. Peters where my friend was waiting (I didn't even know he was going to be there!).

A Little Early for Sun by stlgevo51, on Flickr
I decided to give chase to St. Charles, where the NS crosses the Missouri River on an impressive bridge. I was right along side of him two miles from my spot, but luckily he had to slow down for the bridge. I beat him off, but I barely had time to set up because he came across faster than I had expected. As a result, I was too far away from the bridge and couldn't get all 6 engines in one shot. (I almost messed it up more because I was messing with focus points, but it was all good in the end!). Still, the light was nearly perfect.
7657333502_ab715a3b4a.jpg
1067 on the Big Bridge by stlgevo51, on Flickr
7657332790_ac0c4a1f34.jpg
Reading Close UP by stlgevo51, on Flickr
I jumped back onto the highway where I figured I would try to get him again. I had no intentions since my route was longer. As I was driving to the crossing, I heard the horn, but luckily it was for a different crossing farther down. I raced to my spot where I made it just in time. The train was going slow, possibly for a meet a few miles down.

1067 Bonus Shot by stlgevo51, on Flickr
Here's a going away shot showing the entire consist. In addition to the RDG, an Operation Lifesaver unit was in the 6th position.

Going Away by stlgevo51, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

IllinoisTerminal

Great shots! I'm from STL, and an old WAB/NW/NS fan. That's a beautiful bridge. Still debating whether to go to see 765 in September.

stlgevo51

Steam Chaser
Thanks guys!

IllinoisTerminal- The 765 will be fun! The Wabash heritage unit will be with it, and it will cross the big bridge. I will be chasing for 3 days!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)