[CH] Métro de Lausanne

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

kcp

Bonjour,

I used the return of a business trip for a one day visit to Lausanne. Among some sightseeing I wanted to take a look at the only Métro system in Switzerland

The Métro network has two lines: m1 is more or less a "normal" tram, whereas m2 is a fully automated, rubber-tired métro line

The m2 uses rubber tires because the line is pretty steep. The southern part of the line was a rack railway before it became part of m2.

The stop "Gare" under Lausannes railway station give a pretty good impression, how steep the line is

m2_garezepft.jpg

Two trains at the southern terminus "Ouchy"

m2_ouchylnqyn.jpg

The platform of stop "Ouchy". As most automated subway lines, Lausanne has platform doors.

m2_ouchy20ppjv.jpg

Only three section of the line are above ground. Some impressions of the section between "Délices" and "Grancy". A train leaving "Délices"

m2_delice67yluh.jpg

View from the roof top of stop "Délices"

m2_delice33sxvs.jpg

m2_delice2jvy6f.jpg

Quite nice after dark

m2_delice8lqlwn.jpg

The following images where taken from the bridge that can be seen in the pictures above. View is in the direction of stop "Grancy"

m2_delice1g5zby.jpg

m2_delice4yxb5e.jpg

m2_delice5o2bja.jpg

m2_delice7pbx7d.jpg

I guess this is the most well-known Métro-motif in Laussane: m2 below the "Pont Bessières".

m2_bessiere22rxq3.jpg

m2_bessierel8aaa.jpg

My favourite is the triple consisting of the bridge, the Métro and the cathedral

m2_bessiere4ezlsg.jpg

Nice eye catcher: The cathedral at night.

catchuryld.jpg

The last above ground section is the approach to stop "Sallaz". View from above the tunnel exit

m2_sallazi6q81.jpg

m2_sallaz2fmpmf.jpg

m2_sallaz3v5qpu.jpg

Alternative view from the other side of the road.

m2_sallaz4vkp37.jpg

When you use the stairs at stop "Ours" instead of the elevator, you get an impression, how deep below ground the station is. View from the stairwell unto the platforms

m2_ours8pof3.jpg

Nice gimmick: As "Ours" is the French word for bear, an illuminated bear claw print is embedded with the rails of the northbound track.

For completeness sake a few snapshots of the other line m1. Terminus "Flon"

m1_flonhgzr9.jpg

"Flon" again: This time with a train ;-).

m1_flon2cma2g.jpg

Train at stop "Montelly"

m1_montellikxlt8.jpg

Some practical information: I was in Lausanne on a Sunday. The m1 was running with 15 minute headways, m2 had 5-7 minutes. There are no barriers that block the entry to the platform. A day ticket for bus and métro in the greater Lausanne region costs 9 Swiss francs and can be purchased at a ticket machine. The machine accepts credit cards.

Lausanne itself is pretty nice, with the lake "Lac Léman" and the houses stretching up the mountains.

The morning mist over the lake clears and reveals the Alps

morgennebelkzpf5.jpg

morgennebel2h1qis.jpg

morgennebel3bpqm4.jpg

morgennebel44cpum.jpg

Nightfall at the lake

sunset2wjpc8.jpg

Quite impressive Christmas lights at a hotel (next to stop "Riponne-M. Béjart")

w_deko3lppd.jpg

The portal of Lausanne railway station

gare2cblxz.jpg

While I waited for my train to Germany, a took this picture of the canopy that spans the platforms.

gare1hfll6.jpg

This wraps up my little trip report. I hope you liked it.

Adieu
Charly

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back