Can you identify this? (very old part from train)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

bushpilot223

IMG_20140817_201755_514.jpg
IMG_20140817_201806_368.jpg
IMG_20140817_201821_060.jpg

I found this while walking along the old railroad bed just outside of Shoshone, Idaho. It could very well be over 100 years old if not 150. Unfortunately, I do not have any expertise in this subject.. And my curiosity is getting the better of me. It looks like some kind of door. Any thoughts?

The only legible markings are"NATIONAL" and "A.A.R."

It's a journal box lid. Prior to the use of roller bearings the axles had a journal machined on the end which would fit inside a box cast in the side frame of the truck. Sitting on top of the journal was a babbitt lined brass bearing held in place with a wedge and the weight of the car. Under the journal was pad of cotton waste packing and the box was filled with lubricating oil. The lid you found would have covered the opening of the box on and had a metal spring to keep it closed. A carman would inspect the bearing and refill the oil during routing inspections. It is likely that the lid you found came off a car during a derailment at that location.

My best guess is a later model lid, say 1940s or later. I base that on the fact that it is two piece with the spring to help keep the lid tight. The lids I've seen on earlier arch bar trucks have been a single piece casting.

Thank you for educating me! Looked super old, now at least I won't be telling my friends that its 100 years old (;

Cheers,
Thomas

The A.A.R on the stands for Association of American Railroads. National is likely the company that manufactured the lid. With AAR on the lid it would probably fit a standardized box and therefor fit many different models of journal boxes. According to Wikipedia AAR was formed in 1934.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back