Can anybody ID this old rail road ROW?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CS641

Tennessee Pass Groupie
While traveling from New Mexico to Oklahoma thru Texas along I40 I noticed there is an old rail line that parallels the interstate across the whole of Texas and can be seen in NM and OK. Runs directly past a lot of old grain silos and part of the line still has rail in Amarillo and appears to be used to store cars at a railcar shop. There are still ties in place here and there, no rails other than that one segment thru Amarillo and all the trestles are gone BUT the bents are still in place, mostly.

The eerie thing is I've done this ride numerous times at night and have noticed on one occasion one particular co-op silo west of Amarillo (Bushland or Wildorado?) had the lights on WAY up top, 10 or 12 stories up. I guess the silos are still being used?

Off the top of my head I would guess it belonged to the Rock Island; I initially thought of the Fort Worth & Denver but they didn't run through Oklahoma.

Click the map:

texas40.jpg

Bruce

The old Rock Island was really spread out. I counted fourteen states including Tennessee, although it barely made it into the Volunteer state by crossing the Mississippi River from Arkansas to Memphis.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back