C&O 1309 Moves Under Its Own Power

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Beautiful loco. I'm I wrong or does it look like a big boy? I don't know all that much about the real stuff. I think it has something to do with the number of drive wheels and wheel sets?

Beautiful loco. I'm I wrong or does it look like a big boy? I don't know all that much about the real stuff. I think it has something to do with the number of drive wheels and wheel sets?
It is similar to a Big Boy, in that it is an articulated steam engine. The Big Boy is a 4-8-8-4 simple articulated, and the 1309 is a 2-6-6-2 compound Mallet locomotive. Simple means all the steam cylinders are fed live steam at the same time. Compound means it recycles the steam from the rear cylinders to the front cylinders.

I got ya. So, just because they look similar two different locos can be totally different animals. I know steam expands, but do you know how they keep the temperature up while they're moving the same charge of pressurized steam from one steam cylinder to another in a compound locomotive?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back