C&NW bay-window caboose mystery

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Steve Snook

I'm writing to you because of the advice I received from the C&NWHS. In May of 1998 I spotted and photographed a C&NW bay window caboose tacked on the back of a westbound Union Pacific freight near Wood River, NE. The car was dirty brown with the American flag wiped clean and the CNW letters above the bay window wiped clean as well. The car number was not visible. The car had graffiti on the window in the bay. I went on-line and found out some information about the car but I do not remember where I found it and I do not recall what was said about the car. I do recall that the can number was 11035. Can anyone in your group give me information about the car including, where the car originated, where the car was going, who purchased the car and has the car been restored? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. I've been a C&NW fan for many years. My home is one mile from the U.P. transcon so I can hear and see a lot of traffic. I collect Louis Marx and Lionel trains and have for about 50 years. Needless to say I have a lot of trains and my wife is beginning to ask me what I want her to do with them when I am no longer around! We lived in Plymouth, MN. for over 20 years and I got involved with the Milwaukee #261 and spent many great hours working for the Friends of the #261 and on that big Northern. I've had lots of friends who were employed by the C&NW and have many stories to tell about that granger railroad. I hope to be valid participant in your forum because I feel like I may have a lot to add. Thank you.

Attachments

• C&NW Bay Window Caboose 5-14-98 img842.jpg
    C&NW Bay Window Caboose 5-14-98 img842.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 128

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back