Burlington Station Renovation, Omaha, NE

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

brad_in_omaha

Renovation of the Burlington Station in Omaha, NE has begun.

SC8A3178.jpg

SC8A0191.jpg

Good update Brad. Bet there are some fashion and yearbook photo photographers miffed that some of "their" backdrops/location sites can't be used anymore :)

Good update Brad. Bet there are some fashion and yearbook photo photographers miffed that some of "their" backdrops/location sites can't be used anymore :)

Lol. Probably! That's like the third location they have lost this year.

1- The Burlington is Fenced off.
2- Kaneko ripped out the loading dock.
3- The Mercers added a no photographer policy in the Passageway during business hours. (However nobody follows this rule).

Waaahhhhh.... they can learn to ask the property owners for permission to use those locations instead of blatantly trespassing on private property.

Brad
How many trains went through the station a day
When was the last train through the station.
It looks like a good size station.

I don't know. I would need to get out some of my book and looks. I think I remember reading that between the two stations, there were 8 Railroads using them.

Here is a photo from back in the day. 11th Street Bridge in the foreground, 10th street bridge with all the cars on it. Behind that is the Passenger bridge that ran between the Union Station (Left) and Burlington Station (Right). The triangle shaped building in the foreground is the Burlington Postal Annex. Still has a mail car in the basement. I plan on buying the Annex when I hit the lottery.

PHOTO REMOVED. SOMETHING HAPPENED TO THAT WEBSITE AND IT WAS FLAGGED AS SPAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for showing the picture
Now I get an idea of the layout with two stations and a postal annex.
That's interesting about the mail car still in ln the basement.
There is a grain elevator north of Denver that still has two wooden box cars in it.

Interesting to see the front of the building now that the parking structure has been removed. Thanks for sharing.

Today there were large wooden timers across the tracks protecting it from falling concrete. Removal of the concrete deck has begun.

Are there plans to set aside a portion of the lobby or one room as a mini museum with historical photographs of the station and surrounding area? It would help preserve local history and would be good PR for the new owner. Since the new owner is a TV station, I would think it would be very amenable to that.

Are there plans to set aside a portion of the lobby or one room as a mini museum with historical photographs of the station and surrounding area? It would help preserve local history and would be good PR for the new owner. Since the new owner is a TV station, I would think it would be very amenable to that.

There's already a museum about 400' to the north that was the former UP station, it's got lots of preserved local history. To add to that, the UP museum is a short drive east to its location in Council Bluffs as well as a museum in the former Rock Island Council Bluffs depot.

Another Photo Update

1. They started removing the deck yesterday. They laid down large panels of timbers to protect the track below.
SC8A1287.jpg

2. At the end of the day they were removed so that Amtrak could use the station last night and this morning.
SC8A1298.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back