Burlington Station Renovation, Omaha, NE

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

The upper level parking that is being torn out, was an after thought many years later after completion of the station. With that gone it will be as it was when first built.

The upper level parking that is being torn out, was an after thought many years later after completion of the station. With that gone it will be as it was when first built.

Not exactly. When it was first built, there was a ramp from 10th Street down to the front of the building. Also, the building looked completely different back then. It had all the columns and a pitched roof.

Yes, that is correct. The original building did not look like it does now, it was remodeled when UP built the present station to the north. When originally built, the upper parking was not there but now with it gone, the layout has taken a step back to being a little more like it was originally.

The pillars that were on the original structure were put on flat cars during the remodeling and hauled down to Lincoln where they stand to this very day. I have a picture of President Taft giving some kind of speech on the south side of the building. I have at least 20 pics of the Burlington station dating back to about 1907-1940's. Mostly they are used and unused picture post cards, some being over 100 years old.

It is rather a shame to have removed the concourse decking on the north side. To me it's famous from the days when it used to connect with the UP station.

Nobody should expect any kind of historical accuracy with what the TV station is doing to the building. It is the least of their concerns but I'm sure they'll pat themselves on the back, for somehow doing Omaha a great service by occupying the structure.

If I won the lottery, I would have restored the building in it's current "second generation" appearance with historical purity being the only priority but make it fully functional for modern use (technologically speaking) then donate it to AmTrack or some variation that would allow it to return it to it's intended purpose but that is nothing more than just a fun thought.

The reality is the lessor of two evils. It either continues to exist in a less than respectful, mutated form or you lose it all to the wrecking ball.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back