BNSF Transcon Visit

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

B_Kosanda

Outstanding In My Field
The BNSF southern Transcon slices across Missouri diagonally from Kansas City to the northeast corner of the state. I visited the Marceline Sub in north central Missouri yesterday. The area around Marceline, Bucklin and LaPlata is beautiful country. This is all double track with trains looking to be travelling around 55 mph+. I learned to get ready for photos earlier, the hard way. :O

This eastbound was the fastest of the trains I saw, passing a signal bridge near Bucklin, MO.
2013_07_01_11515b.JPG

Grab shot of some Missouri mules.
2013_07_01_11518b.jpg

This eastbound autorack is seen on a massive fill near Marceline, MO.
2013_07_01_11537b.JPG

Nice roads in the area. I wouldn't want to be driving on it at night waiting for a deer to jump out.
2013_07_01_11540b road.JPG

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

B_Kosanda

Outstanding In My Field
An eastbound UP train, also at Marceline.
2013_07_01_11548b.JPG

I didn't get any decent shots near Elmer or LaPlata, all the trains were coming from the wrong direction (out of the sun). Maybe next time.

Bill

papio

Nice variety of shots Bill. Wonder how much longer the signal bridge will remain, seems like all the old ones are being replaced.

B_Kosanda

Outstanding In My Field
The signal bridge is unique, for sure. There are a bunch of them. Once they are removed, it will look like every other line.

Bill Anderson

I took the liberty of repositioning Bill's photos to correspond with his captions. The method of loading photos on the "new" site is not intuitive and takes experimentation to get the photos and captions to match up in the correct order.

B_Kosanda

Outstanding In My Field
I Had to Go Back

You know how it is when you visit a new location for the first time. It takes a little study to find the best spots. After my visit earlier this week, I just had to go back and get some catches at a few other locations. The eastbounds were rolling all morning long.

#6 - An eastbounder I caught first thing in the morning. This is at the west end of Bucklin on Meadow Road.
#7 - Another shot of the nice signal bridge at Meadow Road.
#8 - Some of the local roads are just as much fun driving as seeing the trains.
#9 - This one is from the bridge at Anchor Road near Ethel, MO.

Attachments

B_Kosanda

Outstanding In My Field
A few more

#10 - The old bridge at Crystal Ave, near Elmer, MO provided a great viewing spot. No traffic on this road except for Amish wagons.
#11 - An eastbound stack train from the Crystal Ave. bridge.
#12 - The sun was getting high, but I stuck around at Dolphin Road near LaPlata, MO to catch this Amtrak.

thanks for looking,
Bill

Attachments

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)