BNSF track projects, WA State 2014

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

With what we all hope is a temporary down turn in traffic, wouldn't it be a good time for BNSF to go ahead, finally, and do something about the StampedeTunnel? Seems to me, the major things that need to happen are: a)Enlarge the existing bore to allow forseeable equipment such as double stacks through; b)PTC; c)Fully signal/CTC so none of the Yakima Valley or Stampede subs are dark; d)Double tracking of choke points on Lakeside Sub.
The tunnel itself can be enlarged fairly quickly, although there are structural limitations (concrete cross bracing) in the existing floor that likely make crowning simpler and faster. Ideally though, they'd bore an entirely new tunnel, lower, from roughly Cabin Creek to somewhere near what used to be Weston, but that is going to be initially more expensive and would likely take a year or two. (BNSF likely has those plans -- which have been throughly explored by the NP, somewhere!)
The other thing is that there are two tunnels to enlarge, both the Stampede Tunnel proper, and a much shorter tunnel -- I want to call it Tunnel 4 -- on the west approach loops to Stampede.

The Lakeside Sub is a choke point in that it feeds both the Stampede and Fallbridge Subs and there are a few areas that need to be double tracked in order to handle traffic over Stampede and along the Columbia River.

With what we all hope is a temporary down turn in traffic, wouldn't it be a good time for BNSF to go ahead, finally, and do something about the StampedeTunnel?
Some thoughts on this. 1) most railway projects and government projects have at least a five year draw cycle before construction starts. 2) Bridge 6 (Ballard Bridge) in Seattle is within that 5 year cycle of planning on replacement. 3) if there is no plan to do so in the first place, it won't be done in the down turn. 4) the first documents to replace the bridge was in 2018 BNSF Ballard Railroad Bridge Replacement

Any word on if/when double tracking between MP 18 (Sunset Ave./Edmonds) and MP 16 (Pt. Wells/Richmond Beach ) will begin?

I see there is a switch at Edmonds in a gondola.

Those were to be new switch point panels for both the MP 16 and MP 18 turnouts. They were ordered incorrectly, so I think they're just sitting until a use for them can be found. This year, instead of entirely new turnouts, only the points panels have been replaced at a few locations: Howarth Park crossover, South Bow and North Bow.

It's good to here. I had a stroke on June 22, 2019. I could not move anything on my right side. Had to quit from the BNSF and retired my locomotive number in October. Now I can walk, write checks from right sider and drive my car. It's tough not running trains and talking from my crews since I can talk so lousy from that stroke. Thanks to see you're still there Mark!

Drano Lake bridge replacement articles.

April 18

August 25

August 27

Bruce

Here are some views as the new span went by Cascade Locks. The sun was not in a good position for optimal exposures as they passed beneath the Bridge of the Gods.

Attachments

• At Cascade Locks-01.jpg
    At Cascade Locks-01.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 246
  • At Cascade Locks-02.jpg
    At Cascade Locks-02.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 231
  • At Cascade Locks-03.jpg
    At Cascade Locks-03.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 275
  • At Cascade Locks-04.jpg
    At Cascade Locks-04.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 250

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back