BNSF track projects, WA State 2014

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

On the other side of the hill, there was a rail train, laden with new rail, westbound, through Yakima yesterday afternoon. Wonder where he was going.

Would anybody happen to know what model switch machines they're using at Longview Junction? M-23s, by any chance?

Hey, Mark, they put in a #24 at MP 27 on the Scenic sub and according to my bosses, they plan to double track next year both single track sections: MP 16 - 18 and 27-28. Now, looking at the switch, the last couple of days, it looks like another #24 could go in there between that new switch and the MP 27 EBC signals making a single crossover there Eastbound Main 2 to Main 1, and then they could continue a new Main 2 up to MP 28. Is that the plan? Or is another # 24 destined for MP 28 just to speed up the passenger trains? My bosses don't know, yet . Thanks ahead of time.

In future projects news, the big Bascule bridge over Salmon Bay, with the troublesome trunnion bearings, north of Seattle is planned to be replaced with an entirely new span utilizing a horizontal lift bridge. The whole thing will be built immediately west of the existing bridge so as not to impact operations. The last time GN had to do this job when the huge concrete counterweight sort of fell off(!), they had a detour through Ballard, which must have been fun to watch and a huge headache for the dispatcher.

Additional reading and images: https://pauldorpat.com/2012/12/22/seattle-now-then-ballards-bascule-bridge/

More immediately for me, the triple track in south Auburn stops at Ellingson Rd, and will have to bridge both the road and then the White River with at least additional single track spans. The truss bridge over the river is getting a bit long in the tooth, and scuttlebutt suggests the entire bridge will be replaced. This will be quite the challenge since there's not much real estate on either side of the ROW; I could almost see BNSF, hat in hand, politely asking to detour over the nearby UP line for a little while. I live in the trailer park across the street, so it could be fun to watch. If they're actually going to do this project in my remaining lifetime! I'm getting a bit long in the tooth, too.

Last edited:
Hey, Mark, they put in a #24 at MP 27 on the Scenic sub and according to my bosses, they plan to double track next year both single track sections: MP 16 - 18 and 27-28. Now, looking at the switch, the last couple of days, it looks like another #24 could go in there between that new switch and the MP 27 EBC signals making a single crossover there Eastbound Main 2 to Main 1, and then they could continue a new Main 2 up to MP 28.

Good questions. The Division Engineer was at our last Seattle safety meeting. I said something about the new moveable point frog #24 being the kiss of death for double tracking anytime soon. He was kind of sly about his response so maybe people are trying to make something happen! Since they upgraded the turnout AND did the additional wiring for the frog's dual control motor, it would make sense that it would be integrated into a new plan. Historically, it was said that the crossovers at Mosher would be built, first, to facilitate double tracking Mukilteo...the same scenario as what you stated above. But is a MP 27 crossover, or set of crossovers a new addition?

Further development in deep South King County: south of the White River bridge and Auburn Yard: new fill for the third main is going in. I don't know how far that has occurred and I assume once it's built up will sit and settle for some time before the third track is laid. No idea when the bridges (including Ellingson Rd.) will get started. I'm curious to see how the river bridge will be designed and built--this location sees a lot of congestion already!

And south of all that, I've heard that a satellite yard is going to be built on the location of an abandoned golf course. Some parties in Sumner apparently are not thrilled with this. By Google Earth, I estimate it'll be about 9000' in length--Lake Tapps Parkway and existing industry kind of hem it in. Not finding any references to such a significant project.

Additionally, a rare day of quiet at Auburn Yard revealed a new structure near the north end has gone up in the location where northbound trains and their engines are parked. I suspect this is a service island for lube, fuel, sand, and water. Mark, got any facts?

It has been stated that a new yard is to be built where the old golf course was. This is important for staging trains. The exact size and layout I don’t know but it will get trains off the main and allow moving trains to move where they need to go. To know that the work is going on is encouraging.

Good questions. The Division Engineer was at our last Seattle safety meeting. I said something about the new moveable point frog #24 being the kiss of death for double tracking anytime soon. He was kind of sly about his response so maybe people are trying to make something happen! Since they upgraded the turnout AND did the additional wiring for the frog's dual control motor, it would make sense that it would be integrated into a new plan. Historically, it was said that the crossovers at Mosher would be built, first, to facilitate double tracking Mukilteo...the same scenario as what you stated above. But is a MP 27 crossover, or set of crossovers a new addition?
My commuter train is now faster by about 45 seconds or more since I don’t have to slow down to 35 mph at MP 27. The question is: will that 45 mph section be increased to 50 mph since the switch is good for 50 mph?

Hey, Mark, they put in a #24 at MP 27 on the Scenic sub and according to my bosses, they plan to double track next year both single track sections: MP 16 - 18 and 27-28.......

"Next year" (2019) has arrived. The stage has been set for double tracking the section between MP 16-17 (Pt. Wells-Marina Beach Park) for about ten years. It will be interesting to see if this is finally done. I understand some new crossing signals have been installed in Edmonds.

i thought BNSF was replacing all of the Washougal River bridge.

Bruce

WashougalRiverBridge.jpg

My concern is with people walking on the platform at the station.

Unless they can hear the wayside horns, will the engineers have to blow the horn anyway if walkers are too close?
We will ALWAYS have to ring the bell alongside the platform, while moving our train, and once passing the Whistle Board until fully occupying the crossings. If the system fails, we will see by indicator lights and blow the horn as required by rule. AND, as usual the Engineer has FINAL say if HE/SHE has to blow the horn in an EMERGENCY, no matter if in a Quiet Zone or not.

Last edited:
Which begs the question: any changes projected for Stampede?

Now through the end of March, a steel gang will be eliminating the last of the jointed rail on the Yakima Valley Sub. This is between Prosser and Satus. Then in September and October, another gang will lay rail on the Stampede side. It, too, will be many miles of jointed rail replaced, but I'm not sure that it will be all of it.

At the same time as the rail on the Yakima Valley Sub, Prosser and Mabton get new turnouts. Yakima Yard gets 2-3 new turnouts, too.

Interesting. I wonder if they're going to change out jointed rail in the Bristol - Cle Elum area, or if that's already done. Still got the tunnel issue, of course...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back