BNSF track projects, WA State 2014

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

June 20, 2015 Trip to Control Points on the Seattle Subdivison Part IX

33. SBCS at Vader. Vader was upgraded to 50 MPH #24 ICS swing nose frogs switches, also. Surprisingly, the only crossover not to have a train go through while I was at it.

34. Amtrak #14 northbound through the new high speed crossovers at Ostrander with the whole plant in the background.

35. NBCS at Ostrander. Years ago, I was running a freight northbound and the intermediate signal two miles south was Clear. As I rounded the curve at 40 MPH, track speed, Ostrander was RED, STOP. I quickly brought my train to a stop but still passed the signal. It took about 40 minutes to get it all sorted out that it was a circuit problem up at MP 85 that caused my indication to drop to STOP before I got there. In the meantime, a northbound BNSF intermodal came up behind us and stopped. Finally, we were on our way. I mention this because, due to the delay, that intermodal was on our blocks all the way up to Nisqually where their rear few cars got broadsided by a southbound Union Pacific freight in the control point as it was being run by a student engineer. Had I been delayed a few minutes longer it would have been ME being hit!

36. New cantilever for the SBCS at Kelso South. Notice the bagged signal heads which will be for the new Main 1 which will begin a couple miles farther north in Kelso. Both of the old cantilevers were still standing. The old SBCS had their signal heads removed. The old NBCS had their signal heads bagged. This will be a big triple crossover when its done in a couple of years. They still have to build a new bridge down near the crossing at Longview Jct over the Coweeman River.

33. SeaSubCP2015S0177.JPG 34.SeaSubCP2015S0182.JPG
35.SeaSubCP2015S0183.JPG 36.SeaSubCP2015S0186.JPG

June 20, 2015 Trip to Control Points on the Seattle Subdivison Part X

37. The new NBCS for Kelso South. These should be temporary due the fact that they will be building a new mainline to the left of the current main 1 and will need to take out that signal to lay the new mainline, plus they will need a three track cantilever for the NBCS.

38. The U EPPFTE0 96 heading north to, I think, Fildago, WA the Tesoro refinery. I can't find the symbol in any list I have so it must be one of the new destinations.

39. The DP units on the oil train. It was about 7 pm at that time, I was hungry and knew I had at least a 3 hour drive ahead of me. I had toyed with idea of bringing an overnight bag with me and stay in a motel but I hadn't discussed it with my wife before hand. I'll try to come back down next month to hit CP85, Interstate South, CP Kalama and CP Harvest. I'll move over my reporting to the Vancouver Rail Project thread for Fruit Valley, again, since new switches have been installed and all of the other new control points and tracks that have been laid down. Thank you for your viewing time and your interest in these new control points.

37.SeaSubCP2015S0187.JPG 38.SeaSubCP2015S0191.JPG
39.SeaSubCP2015S0220.JPG

I really liked running those old GP 30s mostly for the great horn and the extra head room in the cab.

BNSFEng, next time you're in Kalama, check out the main lines at the north end of the Peavey grain elevator (or whatever it's called these days, I still call it Peavey). There is a new set of crossovers under construction there. Judging by the locations of the small silver electrical junction boxes on the ground for the switch machines, it will be made for 3 tracks. Also, just north of the bridge at the north end of Peavey they are starting to grade and fill along main 2. Furthermore, just south of Todd Rd (actually Toteff Rd) they are working on what looks like another crossover, probably to replace the MP 111 crossovers that disappeared a few years ago.

BNSFEng, next time you're in Kalama, check out the main lines at the north end of the Peavey grain elevator (or whatever it's called these days, I still call it Peavey). There is a new set of crossovers under construction there. Judging by the locations of the small silver electrical junction boxes on the ground for the switch machines, it will be made for 3 tracks. Also, just north of the bridge at the north end of Peavey they are starting to grade and fill along main 2. Furthermore, just south of Todd Rd (actually Toteff Rd) they are working on what looks like another crossover, probably to replace the MP 111 crossovers that disappeared a few years ago.

Thanks. Yes. That is on my list of objectives. You got Kalama Control Point on the North and Harvest Control Point on the South. Third mainline begins being built at the end of the year according to our Division news letter. That third mainline will be on the east side of the mains. Toteff will be the south part of the three mainlines going back to two. And with a South Interstate Control Point you know there's gotta be a North Interstate Control Point sometime in the future unless that will be the name of the crossovers at Toteff. My plan is to still go down there on July 18th and visit Vancouver.

North towards Seattle and South towards Vancouver on the Seattle Sub. If you mean the combination New Westminster/Scenic/Bellingham Subs from Vancouver BC to Seattle, it's South from Vancouver (Fraiser River Jct.) to USA Canada Border on the New West. Sub. USA Canada Border to Everett Jct. or PA Jct. on the Bellingham Sub then West from Everett Jct. or PA Jct. to Seattle on the Scenic Sub. Then reverse would be East then North.

Thanks. The old Southern Pacific was strictly an east-west time table railroad, which made things very confusing in parts of California and Oregon.

Thanks. The old Southern Pacific was strictly an east-west time table railroad, which made things very confusing in parts of California and Oregon.

When I was down in Texas on the old Santa Fe in 1997, everything was East West even though you were going North South. It didn't make any sense to be going West (away from Chicago) south bound out of Gainsville, TX to Temple. Now the Ft. Worth Subdivision is listed North South.

There's lots of activity at the north end of the Longview yard. Dump trucks are bringing in fill dirt along main 2 north of the yard.

Thanks. Yes. That is on my list of objectives. You got Kalama Control Point on the North and Harvest Control Point on the South. Third mainline begins being built at the end of the year according to our Division news letter. That third mainline will be on the east side of the mains. Toteff will be the south part of the three mainlines going back to two. And with a South Interstate Control Point you know there's gotta be a North Interstate Control Point sometime in the future unless that will be the name of the crossovers at Toteff. My plan is to still go down there on July 18th and visit Vancouver.

Actually, CP Kalama is in the middle. The new control point I was talking about in posting #107 is north of CP Kalama. So, from south to north, Kalama will eventually have 4 control points: Toteff, Harvest, Kalama, and... ??? the new one at the north end of Peavey. CP Peavey???

Actually, CP Kalama is in the middle. The new control point I was talking about in posting #107 is north of CP Kalama. So, from south to north, Kalama will eventually have 4 control points: Toteff, Harvest, Kalama, and... ??? the new one at the north end of Peavey. CP Peavey???

I'll see what I can find out on Saturday.

Look at my new entries. The bungalow says Peavy Main!! Of course, its in pen very lightly so it can be washed off...

Juny 18, 2015 Trip to Control Points on the Seattle Subdivison Part I

On my way to Vancouver, yesterday, I hit the several new or improved control points I missed. I did skip Ridgefield South and Felida as being not close enough to the action I wanted. True, Ridgefield is now a 50 MPH and their are new cantilever signals. But Felida just got new moveable point frogs. Oh well, maybe some other day.

1. Southbound Control Signals (SBCS) at MP 85. I just missed a northbound MPASINB but my camera didn't work. I must have left it on in my bag and it never let me take a shot just kept the shutter open.

2. NBCS at MP 85. Well, I had the UEVEROO1 18A all line up and the camera kept on trying to focus so I missed it. I should have tried taking a picture earlier.

3. At least I got it sorted out for the UP's KSEMW heading south.

4. KSEMW through the signals.

SeaSubCP2015S0300.JPGSeaSubCP2015S0301.JPGSeaSubCP2015S0302.JPGSeaSubCP2015S0303.JPG

Juny 18, 2015 Trip to Control Points on the Seattle Subdivison Part II

5. NBCS at Kalama. On the left is the Drill Track (Storage three), Main 1 then Main 2 and the Kalama House Track. The Drill track will be raised to a higher speed and named perhaps the Peavy Main? The entering switches at Kalama and Harvest off of Main 1 are listed at 30 MPH but walking by the hand throw switches they have yet to have any electrical connections to allow a speed more than 20 MPH nor have any switches have locks on them. Currently the speed on the track is 10 MPH.

6. The construction area with a signal bungalow mentioned by Pete Sakes. Peavy Main is faintly scribbled on the bungalow.

7. The SBCS that are not in operation on Main 1 and 2 for the new CP at MP 105.71. Peavy the name perhaps??

8. A number #24 switch at the north end of Kalama near Peavy.

5. SeaSubCP2015S0305.JPG 6. SeaSubCP2015S0306.JPG
7. SeaSubCP2015S0307.JPG 8. SeaSubCP2015S0308.JPG

Juny 18, 2015 Trip to Control Points on the Seattle Subdivison Part III

9. This area seems like its for some access work or something else on the east side of Main 2.

10. Covered SBCS for the industrial tracks where they keep locomotives, a ballast loading track and begin the loop around Peavy.

11. Amtrak train 509 comes rumbling over the Kalama River Bridge.

12. The support for signals. Notice it only has one support which normally means that it will stretch across to another single support to form a complete signal bridge. This is about 200 yards south of that SBCS on the industrial tracks.

9. SeaSubCP2015S0309.JPG 10. SeaSubCP2015S0311.JPG
11.SeaSubCP2015S0312.jpg 12. SeaSubCP2015S0314.JPG

Juny 18, 2015 Trip to Control Points on the Seattle Subdivison Part IV

13. It's morning again. The previous seven pictures were taken in the evening on my way home. The SBCS at Kalama. Notice it has room for another set of signals to the left which would technically be Main 3. As you will see in picture 16 the Kalama House track has been cut back and the switch removed. I don't know if it's supposed to be lengthened up towards the Kalama River Bridge.

14. Amtrak 14 heading south.

15. The grain train on the left blocked me from checking out the new construction at the north end, this morning, so I came back much later.

16. From the access road bridge looking south. The Main line crossovers are good for 40 MPH the two crossovers from Main 1 to the Drill Track are good for 30 MPH. Track names from Left to Right: House Track, Main 2, Main 1, Drill Track and industrial spur.

13. SeaSubCP2015S0316.JPG 14. SeaSubCP2015S0315.JPG
15. SeaSubCP2015S0317.JPG 16. SeaSubCP2015S0318.JPG

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back