BNSF New Hire Question

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Lugnut79

I just finished up my physicals and background checks. I called HR and was told that the next signal apprentice class start date is 4 Aug. I hired out of Duluth Mn but reside in Salt Lake City at the moment. My questions are:

When do you find out if you are mobile or headquartered? Will that come with my second offer or after I finish the first 2 week class?

Does anyone know if you are provided cold weather clothing, or are you on your own buying that stuff?

Do you go to work immediately following the 2 week class or are you given some time to move your household goods?

I appreciate any help anyone can give me on this matter. HR wasn't really sure about things after being hired. They told me that I should be safe moving anywhere in my seniority district which is dilworth mn to duluth mn...pretty much the whole state. I'm not sure if that is a sign that I will be mobile or not.

Thanks again for letting me ask my questions.

I found out that assigned locations are handed out on the first day of class.

Does anyone know if you are often assigned to a different area than where you interviewed at? I interviewed in Duluth Mn, would my apprenticeship start anywhere except there?

Are there any signal maintainers with BNSF on this board that can give me some advice on where to get my family settled in? I would love to hear what new apprentices are seeing when they first start out as far as headquartered or mobile...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back