BNSF in Illinois

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Work train at Adair, IL with a Ferromex SD70ACe on the point, August 2018. Warning!!! Brain fart detected! That's a GE!!! Chalk it up to a senior moment!

Coal train at Table Grove, IL. August, 2018. This is the video with the Ferromex SD70ACe!

Adair, IL. I was going home after work on my motorcycle when I saw this train. I stopped and chased it back to Adair to get this video. This is just with the lights from my motorcycle.

Last edited:
This is about my favorite picture that I've taken of the BNSF. This was the winter of 2014-15 I believe, about a mile or so north of Bushnell, IL.

1587939247608.png

OK, the videos work now, so I deleted several comments about how they weren't working. :) Must have been a permission issue.

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
I got off work at Byron Nuclear Station and stopped at the historic depot in Oregon, IL in the fall of 2015. A train has just crossed the Rock River and is getting ready for the climb out of the river valley. It's got a pretty steep hill west of Oregon and will make those engines growl. After it goes by, a train that was in the hole takes it's turn on the main as it makes it's way towards Chicago.

IMGP5929.JPG

IMGP5931.JPG

IMGP5934.JPG

IMGP5941.JPG

IMGP5958.JPG

Some more from Oregon, IL.

Plaque at the restored depot.

IMGP5830.JPG

An interesting loco from a far away area.

IMGP5828.JPG

And this was coupled to the other end.

IMGP5829.JPG

A train as it climbs out of the Rock River valley west of Oregon, IL.

IMGP5834.JPG

Getting closer to the top.

IMGP5835.JPG

Almost there!

IMGP5838.JPG

Bob, after seeing the abandoned roundhouse photos, I looked up Beardstown, which I'd never heard of. Seems to have had a colorful old-west style history with Indian wars and gunfights, but, the railway business sure seems to have died out by the looks of that building.
I note the photos were taken 6 years ago; is that fine looking building still abandoned, or has it been re-purposed?

Beardstown has had quite a colorful history including some wild west related stuff, Abe Lincoln and the infamous Beardstown Ladies. There are other stories that I can't vouch for the veracity of and besides, they wouldn't be appropriate for posting here. The old roundhouse is used, I just don't know by who or for what. At one time there were two roundhouses and two turntables located there. The yard there used to be very active, but is now pretty quiet. There used to be quite a few mines, factories and grain elevators that shipped by rail, but the mines and most of the factories and local elevators are gone.

Found an empty taconite train headed north towards Galesburg waiting for a meet just south of Abingdon, IL in January, 2006.

IMGP5683.JPG

IMGP5684.JPG

IMGP5682.JPG

Got the OK by Track Warrant for the move to Galesburg. This was dark territory before CTC was installed.

IMGP5680.JPG

Running out of daylight as the train picks up speed.

IMGP5679 (2).JPG

Work train at Adair, IL with a Ferromex SD70ACe on the point, August 2018. Warning!!! Brain fart detected! That's a GE!!! Chalk it up to a senior moment!

Coal train at Table Grove, IL. August, 2018. This is the video with the Ferromex SD70ACe!

Adair, IL. I was going home after work on my motorcycle when I saw this train. I stopped and chased it back to Adair to get this video. This is just with the lights from my motorcycle.

Great videos, thanks Bob!

East meets west? was the Norfolk Southern in the last video?

What kind of bike do you ride? I almost bought a Yamaha Virago when I was young. In hindsight I'm glad I didn't. Almost every guy I know that rides has been hit on our over crowded roads.

Thanks again for the videos, I enjoyed them!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back