BNSF Birmingham Sub 2/19/11

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

folkstonfunnel

Alabama Railfan
Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've been on here. Life got really busy over the past few years and I got away from railfanning. However, I moved to Northwest Alabama at the end of October of last year and now I have a little more time to do a little railfanning. :D

Had the day off so I decided to see what I could find along the BNSF Birmingham Sub. I started at Guin, AL about 11:30 am and drove out to Amory, MS and then back to Winfield, AL before I called it a day at 2:40 pm. I didn't see any movements but I did see 3 trains sitting and was able to get shots of 2 of them (3rd one was back in the woods).

I stopped in Sulligent, AL and found this former Frisco Caboose on display
5459098051_14ef6ec9f2.jpg
Frisco Caboose by johnmperry21, on Flickr

Also found this trackside in Sulligent. The Sulligent Cotton Oil Co. I hope to get some better shots of this building next time I'm in Sulligent.
5459094769_b6b998a06d.jpg
Sulligent Cotton Oil Co. by johnmperry21, on Flickr

Then stopped in Gattman, MS and found BNSF ES44DC #7281 idling with a long string of autoracks
5459713690_ea3190d58a.jpg
BNSF 7281 by johnmperry21, on Flickr

Another shot of #7281
5459103037_0054a81bde.jpg
BNSF 7281 by johnmperry21, on Flickr

Saw a coal train sitting in the yard at Amory, MS and found the head end lead by BNSF SD70MAC #9451. Had to take the shot out the windshield because there wasn't anywhere to pull off that wasn't on railroad property.
5459716620_311499805f.jpg
BNSF 9451 by johnmperry21, on Flickr

At the other end of the yard I found the DPUs. BNSF SD70MAC #9798
5459091159_3d91b9e011.jpg
BNSF 9798 by johnmperry21, on Flickr

I saw many locations to get shots from but there just wasn't anything moving, hopefully next time I'll have something better to show.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)