"Big Bang Theory" show mocking train fans... again

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

p51

Marty, it runs on steam!
Did anyone catch the episode last night where they all ride the Napa Wine train?
Other than a badly pronouced attempt at saying, "ALCO" they got everything right.
Makes me wonder if one of the writers is a train fan or truly hates them. I can't tell which. They sure make a lot of derisive comments about Sheldon's interest in trains and model trains a lot on that show.
Still, I can't disagree with the depiction of train buffs (I told my wife the train buff Sheldon runs into on the show wasn't large enough, looked like he'd had a bath that week and wasn't wearing enough stuff with trains on it), even though I have never even heard of any foamers imitating sounds of specific trains before.

I saw it, and unfortunately I've known railfans that would make him (other guy) look normal. The sounds thing was a bit over the top (they all sounded like steam engines), but not unbelievable.

I saw it, and unfortunately I've known railfans that would make him (other guy) look normal.
Boy, haven't we all! :p
The sounds thing was a bit over the top (they all sounded like steam engines), but not unbelievable.
Yeah, like I told my wife, they didn't have to invent something to make a foamer look nuts, it's one of those cases where reality is more amazing than fiction.
Still, I wonder if this was a train buff show writer's nod to the loony people in the hobby or a condemnation of them from someone who thinks any train buff is nuts...

-If it's on the internet it must be true - I've seen online that Jim Parsons (Sheldon) is a train buff and owns model trains. Who knows?

My wife also said that the guy "looks like one of your friends at the train shows." One of them could barely stop drooling over the trains.

Don't worry, there are plenty of unkept, poor hygine, socially inept, morbidly overweight, sloppy/ any or all of the above at just about any specific enthusiast event or crowd. Cars, hunting, fishing, record & music collecting, photography, heck even your (well least mine) job.

I didn't see it as mocking, although the pair making train sounds was stupid. At least the information was nearly accurate. I've seen much worse.

Show is stupid, so if anyone holds any credit to anything coming from that show, well I will just leave it at that.

Lol, we saw that one the other night. Was fantastic, and just about spot on. Was disappointed he didn't have a scanner at ear bleeding volume, like most I've run across like that on Amtrak! BBT is one of the funniest shows on TV, one of the few shows on network TV we watch with any regularity. They know their business!

I was talking about this with a fellow train buff not too long ago (while standing near a grade crossing, cameras in hand). He'd seen the episode and agreed it was funny. I made the comment on how I'd never heard train buffs making train sounds, and he said he had heard foamers do exactly that.
More than once.
:confused:
I was at a op session on a model RR layout over the weekend and for the very first time, heard people make 'train noises'...
Oy.

Why is it seen as OK for anyone to ridicule anyone else?

Those who make fun of people they do not understand
only show how rude and unkind they (those who ridicule)
are.

I am not saying that all behaviors are OK -- just that making
fun of another person is not OK.

People have been making fun of other people since the dawn of time. It will never stop, nor should it. If we can't laugh at ourselves now and then, we have lost. The show was spot on, the writing is perfect. Foamers, they do walk among us!

Why is it seen as OK for anyone to ridicule anyone else?

Those who make fun of people they do not understand
only show how rude and unkind they (those who ridicule)
are.

I am not saying that all behaviors are OK -- just that making
fun of another person is not OK.
Gotta concur with Logan, you wouldn't have any form of comedy at all if you could never make fun of anyone.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back