Baldwin VO prime movers

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

David914

Can anyone tell me why the DeLaVergne Prime Movers utilized by Baldwin Locomotive Co. had trouble with breaking their crankshafts? I'd read a comment in a Trains Magazine about this situation on the GM&O Railroad but could never find any information on the subject. :confused:

See if your library has a copy of Kalmbach's Diesels from Eddystone: The Story of Baldwin Diesel Locomotives by Gary W. and Stephen F. Dolzall. I cannot recall if the book answers your specific question, but it is a good place to start looking. I'll look through my copy later and see if I can find anything.

Thank you! In Indiana, we have a state-wide borrowing system called Evergreen. The book happens to be available and I have placed a hold in it (should arrive in about 3-5 days. Thanks again!

Having received the book "Diesels From Eddystone: The story Of Baldwin Diesel Locomotives", I am still digging through the information therein. I have a few ideas on what may have happened:

1) The VO prime movers were rated at 650 r.p.m. This could have been incurred due to the high torque conditions under lode.

2) The firing order of the cylinders. I have not familiarized myself with the order, but I recall reading somewhere that it was unusual. Again, under extreme lode conditions, if there were any imperfections in the metal of the crankshaft it could have broken.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

If you want a good teaser, go down to the third page of this PDF. http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/bah/dam/mg/ys/m427ys4Pt1.pdf. Read the section "Engineering and Technical Developments" and then the contents of boxes 1-5 but particularly boxes 3 & 5. Crankshaft deflections tests, investigations of equipment failures... If you could see what was in those boxes you'd hear from the guys who were there at the time.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/baldwin_locomotive_works/4413

Thank you, Conductor, for your contribution. I will spend a bit more time studying this document as well as looking for the book. This sheds quite a bit of light on answers to my questions. Pat, I enjoyed the document you forwarded. It would be a shame to have lost said document due to tossing out paperwork from a dying business, but I'm sure that is what happens. Thanks again to you both!

It looks like they have all that material but it's not available on line.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back