ATSF color, Bakersfield 1987

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Pilawt

These were taken from the north side of 14th Street across from Bakersfield High School. I see from Google Maps that there is a fence there now that would have made these photos impossible. :(

NM_RailNut

Oh those brought back very fond memories!
Indeed they do; I grew up in Merced County within a mile or so of the Santa Fe mainline and saw these locomotives pretty regularly. Now only the SD40-2s are still around (and I still see those regularly, as they're the normal yard power in Belen and on the transfer runs between Belen and Albuquerque, and some are still in Santa Fe colors to boot; no surprise, given that this is Santa Fe territory, after all...:)).

Abilene Ks Railfan

Indeed they do; I grew up in Merced County within a mile or so of the Santa Fe mainline and saw these locomotives pretty regularly. Now only the SD40-2s are still around (and I still see those regularly, as they're the normal yard power in Belen and on the transfer runs between Belen and Albuquerque, and some are still in Santa Fe colors to boot; no surprise, given that this is Santa Fe territory, after all...:)).
Yep, and I loved seeing those F45's, and those ex Amscrap SDP40F's too

BEAUTIFUL and CLASSY colors from a very SPECIAL railroad and Special time in history. LONG LIVE the ATSF - SANTA FE RAILWAY !!!
Thank you so very much for bringing back those MAGICAL and BEAUTIFUL days of RR history !!
--- Daniel

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)