Ashland and Greenwood Nebr. april 2014

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Zoohogger

Whistle Pig
So, it's been a while since I've been out and even longer since I posted anything. A few Friday's ago I had a day off and my wife had to work, poor thing. So with yard work and cleaning to do, plus some car repairs that needed done, what is the best use of my time? That's correct...

Railfaning!

I headed out to my favorite stretch of highway, US hwy 6.
My goal was the little "city park" in Greenwood, Nebraska. There I could stand under the pine trees, drink my coffee and watch trains. I'll bring my chair next time.

It was smoky from wildfires in Kansas and it was kind of different.
I came up behind a westbound mixed freight before Greenwood and drove through town to see what the headend power was. Green BN meets eastbound coal. Then Back to Greenwood for an hour wait for a westbound Z train.

Attachments

• 048sm.jpg
    048sm.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 052smal.jpg
    052smal.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 053sm.jpg
    053sm.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 157
  • 054sm.jpg
    054sm.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 175
Last edited by a moderator:
Then to Ashland

Since there are no "facilities" at the Greenwood park, I thought it best to head for civilization, so east to Ashland. After a stop for gas and other things, I went to east wye and there siting was a tank car train waiting to go south. A crew change and then an eastbound coal and off he goes.
One of the coolest things about a train going that direction is that the DPU is visible while the train is going by. It ain't Tehachapi, but it's all I got.

Attachments

• 058sm.jpg
    058sm.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 059sm.jpg
    059sm.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 064sm.jpg
    064sm.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 150
  • 069sm.jpg
    069sm.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited by a moderator:
A few more from Ashland

1. A KCS Belle on the point of a Westbound empty.

A few views of the 8778 as it move through town.

2. first passing the Herzog equipment.

3. Next to a stopped empty at the west end of Ashland.

4. Heading out across the fill and past the signals.

Attachments

• 090sm.jpg
    090sm.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 095sm.jpg
    095sm.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 097sm.jpg
    097sm.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 171
  • 100sm.jpg
    100sm.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 163
Great work Rick!

I like that Green SD60M Meetup in the first shot!

I agree about the smoke Bill. However I think it was too tick most of those days to do anything cool.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back