Another loco identification

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Steve Young

Anyone know anything about this locomotive, please? Like, who built it, what the donor core was, a few basic specs etc. Thanks heaps! Argos is a cement company that seems to be based in Colombia, but has a significant presence in the USA, especially in the south-east.

Argos Cement locomotive.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, where was this taken? With the massive venting, I'm going to guess this is battery powered.

Interesting, where was this taken? With the massive venting, I'm going to guess this is battery powered.
Sorry, I don't know where or when this was taken. I took it straight off the broker's website. I saw those photos on the company's report for 2017, too, but I don't think it's a battery-electric, because a) battery critters are usually described as zero-emission, not Tier 4, and b) I can't see why a cement company would need a zero-emission locomotive. It would be good to see a photo of the top of the hood. However, anything's possible, I guess.

I guess it's also possible that this thing was found to be a failure, if it is battery-electric, and has been scrapped, because there are no other references to it apart from the broker's website and the company report.

Well, they're using all electric trucks, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had tried a locomotive.

Written by Global Cement staff
05 April 2019

Colombia: Cementos Argos is switching its trucks in Medellín to electric-powered vehicles. The new trucks will be powered by 600v batteries and be capable of carrying 4t of cement, according to the La Republic newspaper. The cement producer is planning to expand the electric-powered trucks to other cities subsequently.

Well, I'll admit that I'm doing an awful lot of conjecture based on just two photos.

However, I don't see even the hint of an exhaust stack, or what look like normal cooling vents. The only locomotive I've ever seen that resembles this one is Norfolk Southern 999, which is totally battery powered.

Fair comment Bob. I think you're right. And looking at that shot from the company report, as you say, there's no hint of an exhaust stack. Well done!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back