Amtrak vs. Southwest Airlines

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

muralist0221

As an aside to this blog, have often thought transoceanic flights offered the best airline service. Not true if you're flying U.S. Air. My wife was part of a group which flew from Kansas City to Rome, Italy via Charlotte, N.C. The more experienced travelers gouged themselves with food at the Charlotte airport and were not surprised by the dreadful, paltry cuisine provided on the 11 hour flight. The airline stewardesses were overworked, burned out and disgruntled. They took their frustrations out on the passengers. Some entertainment was provided in the form of rerun television shows for a $7.00 headphone fee. On the return, you are battling tailwinds. The plane started shaking and had to make an emergency landing in Philadelphia. Seems they were running low on fuel. You would think after 50 years of flying the Atlantic, they would have this sort of thing down pat.

wigwagfan

Passenger
What is a bad seat assignment? Were the seats themselves broken? Just curious, in that aside from the seats on the bulkhead that don't turn, aren't they all just about the same?
The seats were already assigned and occupied.

I'm not sitting on a stranger's lap.

April

Reality escapee
As an aside to this blog, have often thought transoceanic flights offered the best airline service. Not true if you're flying U.S. Air. My wife was part of a group which flew from Kansas City to Rome, Italy via Charlotte, N.C. The more experienced travelers gouged themselves with food at the Charlotte airport and were not surprised by the dreadful, paltry cuisine provided on the 11 hour flight. The airline stewardesses were overworked, burned out and disgruntled. They took their frustrations out on the passengers. Some entertainment was provided in the form of rerun television shows for a $7.00 headphone fee. On the return, you are battling tailwinds. The plane started shaking and had to make an emergency landing in Philadelphia. Seems they were running low on fuel. You would think after 50 years of flying the Atlantic, they would have this sort of thing down pat.
Stewardess(es)?

How 1964.

:p

April

TCJim

Handler and Palm Reader
The seats were already assigned and occupied.

I'm not sitting on a stranger's lap.
This train was orginating in Portland, right?

Hmm, I suppose unless you inspected their hat-check tags, you wouldn't know if they really went to the seat they were assigned.

I know in Seattle they use little stickers (at least for business class), so you can't really be given someone else's seat.

I don't know how Coach in Seattle and Portland work, so I can't argue with you.

Was anyone else having that problem?

wigwagfan

Passenger
This train was orginating in Portland, right?
Train 500, originated in Eugene.

Hmm, I suppose unless you inspected their hat-check tags, you wouldn't know if they really went to the seat they were assigned.
They had the seat check tags in the holders above the seats.

I know in Seattle they use little stickers (at least for business class), so you can't really be given someone else's seat.
Again, the Conductor gave me a seat assignment. I went to the seat. It was assigned by previously boarded occupants who also had an identical seat check.

I don't know how Coach in Seattle and Portland work, so I can't argue with you.
Unfortunately I was in coach.

Was anyone else having that problem?
Apparently not, I won the "Amtrak Customer Lottery" of the day. And got the pleasure of one of Amtrak's worst, unsympathetic employees.

In part of which, I haven't ridden an Amtrak train in almost two years. Used to ride several times a year...but my trips up north to the Puget Sound area have recently been by automobile. Frankly have little desire to return to Amtrak - I got immensely better service from Southwest Airlines, and the only real employee contact I had was with the TSA (frankly wasn't a problem at all - I had more of a problem with the people in front of me at the airport who didn't seem to understand they were holding up the entire line - but otherwise it was a five minute process - MUCH shorter than the time it took for me to get a good seat assignment on Amtrak and far less work), the person who took my ticket at the gate, and being offered a complimentary Coca-Cola and a small bag of chips by a friendly but efficient Flight Attendant.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)