Amtrak P40DC's and "Emergency Emergency Emergency!" in 4K

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Yard Limit

This first video of 2018 features a full Wolf Moon rising on January 1 and Amtrak's few remaining P40DC's; the 800 series. These locomotives were captured coming through Bernalillo, NM and starts with 821 and the Veteran's Heritage Unit 42.
Next is AMTK 48 and 818. This was the first time I've seen 818.
Next, 821 returns leading AMTK 119.
We've had a dry spell with no Heritage Units recently but 822 returned at the end of December 2017. I captured this at the Bernalillo 550 RailRunner station where I happened to meet Chris who was on an 822 chase up to La Junta. Check out his videos at

A few days later 822 returned being led by AMTK 186.
As you've noticed in my videos, trespassers are a common sight in Bernalillo. The tracks run through the middle of town and there are no convenient ways to get from one side to the other except to cross the right of way. After a couple fatalities, trains run through here at restricted speed. The engineers are great about blowing the horns through town and most people quickly get off the tracks. Unfortunately there are a few that play chicken with the train and the crew has no choice but to go into emergency braking. After that happens, the equipment has to be checked out before the train can proceed. The end of this video has the audio for an incident that happened on January 4, 2018. This crew also had a close call with another trespasser shortly before arriving in Bernalillo. The background video was shot along the Rio Grande river, about a mile west of the railroad tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good video. The opening (full moon rising) and closing (Rio Grande scenes) scenes are unique and very good. I also like your use of the Amtrak banner to display the engine numbers of passing trains.

The wide stripes on Heritage unit #822 match nicely with the stripes on the new baggage car trailing behind it. I sometimes wish Amtrak would return to that paint scheme for the long distance diesels and Superliner trains.

Thanks Bill! I like including background scenes in my videos. I'm trying to upgrade my use of titles and banners for 2018 and I'm glad you liked the Amtrak banner! I like the paint scheme on 822 and wish Amtrak would use it on the rest of their locomotives.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back