Adventures at Ashland, NE

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

LocoLuke

I recently got my first DSLR, so I headed down to my regular spot in Ashland, Nebraska to try it out. I found a Canadian Pacific AC4400CW on trailing on what I assume was an oil train. It was definitely a pleasant surprise. From what I heard it was siting there for most of the day. I feel bad for its crew.
1FF11716-C757-4D26-B507-6E4B11723AD8.jpeg
5D99BBD9-48F5-4124-84FA-6291BE04AE0B.jpeg

Last edited:
The Omaha Posse picks up another member. Congratulations on the new dSLR and I hope to see many more of your photos here. I like the pattern of the bare branches above the two orange units in photo #2.

I went down to Ashland today to see if there was anything going on. I sat around for half an hour while this crew wrapped up doing trackwork, and then a westbound came through a little bit later.
DC7C97E2-397B-41EE-8E08-279B74F29A12.jpeg
B9F8BBA7-D5CE-4CC8-8ADE-B8A199AF0424.jpeg
530A3C42-6026-4B94-A92A-F65C3C02E3FA.jpeg

I headed down to Ashland for a little bit yesterday, but first I stopped in Gretna to catch the late Amtrak 6. It had a friendly engineer who gave me a nice little horn show as he flew by.
B6BB4536-4669-4C00-9C75-017476DD6C9C.jpeg

Now, at Ashland, a horribly backlit train crawled by with a short string of cars loaded with large rocks. I wonder if they’ll be dumped by the tracks along the Platte River around Louisville or somewhere else.
0E6AA24B-3E56-4F55-8432-9F8AA653CCD6.jpeg

Finally, a SOO Line hopper and CP 8001 roll up the east side of the wye on the tail end of a freshly re-crewed tank train.
FA818613-31A2-4E0C-94C3-EFDE787BCB3B.jpeg

I grew up in Ashland. Been gone for 30+ years, but mom and dad are still there.

I can remember going to the depot cafe to eat. They had high, wooden booths; I can remember sitting in the booths and feeling the vibration when trains went by on the mainline only about 20 feet away. The cafe burned in I believe the late 70's.

Mom and dad's house sits less than a block from the old Schuyler Line ROW. It was still active up until around the time I was in junior high. A local would go out on Saturday morning; it moved slow, so we could hear it coming a ways off. We would run down and put pennies on the track and then retrieve the flattened pennies after the train had passed. The train would return usually late afternoon or early evening. Dad has lived in the same neighborhood his entire life; he can remember steam engines running up and down that line.

Sorry to ramble; just happened upon this forum and was surprised to see my old hometown in it.

I grew up in Ashland. Been gone for 30+ years, but mom and dad are still there.

I can remember going to the depot cafe to eat. They had high, wooden booths; I can remember sitting in the booths and feeling the vibration when trains went by on the mainline only about 20 feet away. The cafe burned in I believe the late 70's.

Mom and dad's house sits less than a block from the old Schuyler Line ROW. It was still active up until around the time I was in junior high. A local would go out on Saturday morning; it moved slow, so we could hear it coming a ways off. We would run down and put pennies on the track and then retrieve the flattened pennies after the train had passed. The train would return usually late afternoon or early evening. Dad has lived in the same neighborhood his entire life; he can remember steam engines running up and down that line.

Sorry to ramble; just happened upon this forum and was surprised to see my old hometown in it.
I appreciate you sharing the memories. It’s absolutely nuts how much and area can change in just a few decades. I haven’t been alive for much longer than a decade and a half, and I can already think of a couple of old structures and bridges I’ve watched go. It’s sad to see relics of the past go, but I guess sometimes it’s necessary to make way for the future.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back