Abandon line in Illinois.........

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

rrrocker91

When i was a kid, We would visit my family in washington Illinois. They lived east of downtown on Elm st. , just off main st. A few streets to the east, was a rail line. I think they took the tracks out in about 1980. i think it ran northeast and southwest. Does any one know what railroad this was? I have a sweet 1937 datenail from this line. Thanks in advance for any info.

LWB

Abandoned lines Washington, Ill.

Might be the Illinois Central Gulf formerly the Gulf Mobile and Ohio formerly the Chicago and Alton. Or possibly the Santa Fe.

TPWRY

That would be the old Santa Fe. The GM&O was more on the north side of Washington. They interchanged with the TP&W in downtown Washington just West of the Main St.

rrrocker91

Santa fe?

Do you know where that line went to? I found the datenail on a old wooden trestle at the bottom of a hill off cathern st. I thought it was santa fe , just wasent sure. The 8 hr trip from nw ohio was always full of trains! PC, Erie Lackawanna , NW, TP&W, GM&O, early Amtrak, ICG and Rock Island!

TPWRY

The SF went to Pekin, IL. Most of the Pekin Branch was abandoned in 1982.

Bout 5 miles of the old Santa Fe Pekin Branch is still being used as the TP&W Morton Industrial Spur in Morton, IL to serve a few industries. TP&W gets to the spur via NS Bloomington District from P&PU Jct. in East Peoria to Crandall Jct. outside Morton.

rrrocker91

Thanks!

Thanks for all the info! Does the tp&w still run? I remember many trips to illinois and following the tpw from Logansport all the way over along route 24. Is there much of the rock island left of Peoria? My aunt and uncle now live in Creve Cour.

TPWRY

Yes the TPW still runs. Mostly at night. There is a local in Indiana that runs daytime from the old intermodal facility to Gilman, IL and back and to Logansport and back. The road freights may get to their destination in daytime though but they both leave their origins after dark on alternate nights. The EB road freights depart East Peoria Sun-Wed-Fri nights and the WB road freights depart the old intermodal facility Tues-Thurs-Sat nights. Therer is also a few locals to switch elevators but they can run at any time and lately been running at night as well. The Morton job runs daytime but not on a regular schedule.

The old Rock is now mostly owned by the Iowa Interstate runs into Peoria usually 3-4 times a week and can be day or night. Also a coal train runs usually every 1-2 weeks from Peoria to Cedar rapids, IA. The coal if from southern Illinois. The NS take it to Creve Coeur then the TZPR takes it over to IAIS in Peoria.

The old Rock Island station is still standing and people have tried putting resturaunts in it all the time but none have had any luck staying open. There was a fire in it a little over a year ago I believe but it was minor. The tracks by the station are now owned by the Tazewell and Peoria Railroad, TZPR, ex P&PU. The TZPR and IAIS interchange at the Limit yard in Peoria.

Part of the old Rock Island Kellar Branch in Peoria and Peoria Heights was ripped up last year and made into a trail.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)