A question on rail freight car terminology

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Altai

Hi everyone.
I need some help from English-speaking professionals.
I'm trying to find a proper wording for "Calculations made to show the fatigue resistance of a railcar to which multicycle loading is applied"
Would someone please advise how to rephrase the phrase so it sounds good and professional?
"Calculations of fatigue resistance of the car for/with/under/in case of multicycle loading ", probably? Though I’m not sure about the preposition (being no native English speaker, I'm kind of having a hard time).
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperToad

im not toaly clear on what you are trying to say, but my best guess is

Calculations made to show the fatigue resistance of a railcar to repeated loading and unloading cycles.

Altai

Thanks everybody for your concern. Now I think the best way to put it is "Calculations of the fatigue resistance of a car subject to cyclic loading".

Altai

Thank you very much.
I have another question up my sleeve. :)
How do you normally put it when a newly made rail car is subject to test loads to see it meets all the requirements... if the car successfully passes all the tests and stays undamaged - in this case the product "withstands the design loads undamaged" or it "withstands the design loads without damage" or just "successfully withstands the design loads"? Which is more correct or more to the point?

mixolydian

typedef char badiron;
If you've stated that the rail car was subjected to test loads, then you could simply state that it meets all design requirements.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)