A Pair, A Pentagon and A Palindrome(for Bill)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CGW101c

CGW Fan
On a short journey around Council Bluffs we find a pair of KCS units, A pentagon shaped switchstand flag near the Bunge plant south of Council Bluffs and a BNSF loco with a palindrome for a number. It's 60+ degrees today. Tomorrow's high should be 20. Back into winter we go.Tom

KCS3936_112914.jpg

Pentagon Switch Stand_112914.jpg

BNSF8118_102914.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That engine number not only reads the same frontwards and backwards, it reads the same when turned upside down. Is there a term for that? :confused:

I didn't even think that. I was just so excited to see the palindrome. I looked up on the all knowing internet, and those numbers are called inversions. Palindromic inversion???

If you haven't heard it in while, go to You Tube and look for "The Ballad of Palindrome" by Riders in the Sky. All the palindromes you'll ever need. LOL

Starting to see where it looks like the tracks are going to go. I see some angled bridge abutments on the I-29 and they are piling a lot of dirt on the east side. Either the highway is going over the railroad or visa versa. I also see grading and stakes in the ground north of CBEK. Need you to get the helicopter out and take some aerial shots.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back