A Morning at West Scenic

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Jon Bentz

Ross - no harm no foul. ;) I just think that we all should watch what we say. Sometimes the enthusiasm of the moment overtakes our best judgement.

You both got some terrific shots up there!:D I'm looking forward to warmer weather and less snow to make my trek between Scenic and Alpine. Some very beautiful scenes along that twisty stretch. I wish the hill wasn't quite so inaccessible though. From Foss River it's a 2.5 mile hike up to 'the wall'. I still haven't tried that one.

I'd like to meet up with you at Gaynor this summer. Running my own design business makes getting away difficult.

Trackside

Plays Well With Others
You both got some terrific shots up there!:D I'm looking forward to warmer weather and less snow to make my trek between Scenic and Alpine. Some very beautiful scenes along that twisty stretch. I wish the hill wasn't quite so inaccessible though. From Foss River it's a 2.5 mile hike up to 'the wall'. I still haven't tried that one.

Hey that's a goal of mine too so drop me a line if you want company on that hike. I was surprised to see (online) how much there is to see still in the old town of Alpine.

Jon Bentz

I found a couple of pages about Alpine ( Nippon ) that were interesting. Funny thing is - the route they took into the site was the BPA gated road off of Hwy 2. There is a BNSF access road that goes up the mountain to Bonneville Cut that is located just above the town site at MP1723.2. Anyway, I'd also like to hike down grade from there. There are a couple of bridges not to far down the ROW. I've also heard MOW crews refer to Blue Canyon - don't know where that is. ( Can't pry that info out of Burwash - very secretive:rolleyes: ) Maybe even a hike from there to Foss. Oh my aching feet!:eek: Maybe we can scare up a group.

Trackside

Plays Well With Others
Yeah I hiked that gated road about 2 years ago and got to the power lines and was disappointed as I looked east to see I was only about a 1/2 mile west of Bonneville. Was something said about Blue Canyon that made it sound like a good photo location, or place to explore?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)