A Look at Seymour, NE, USA on the Union Pacific

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CGW101c

CGW Fan
Located at between MP 8 and MP 9 on UP's Lane Cutoff, is a place called Seymour. It is a small yard that served the industrial complex south of F St along 72nd St. Things still come and go from here but not with frequency they used to. The view are east and west from the west end of the Bridge over one of the Papillion Creek branches. The Lane cutoff was built in the early 1900's to shorten the trip from north of Millard to Omaha. The original main ran south of Omaha and then turned west and followed the Papillion creek to Papillion where it turned northwest, crossed the Missouri Pacific at Portal then on to Millard and Lane (Pacific St CPB017) The cutoff saved time but had some nasty places to fill. Pictures in the UP Museum show long trestles with RR cars dumping dirt to fill in the deep parts. There are now trestles over two of the creek branches one at roughly 66th St and one at 84th St. MP 8 is close to the 66th St trestle. So here some views both telephoto and normal.

UP_MP8_Seymor_031916_2_Small_v1.jpeg
Looking east at the trestle

UP_MP8_Seymor_031916_9_Small.jpeg
Looking east over the trestle

UP_MP8_Seymor_031916_11_Small.jpeg
Looking west at the yard

UP_MP8_Seymor_031916_13_small.jpeg
Looking west with telephoto. Green signal is MP 9 Far signal is CPB 010

Here is a telephoto looking east through the bridge over the extinct Omaha Road(CNW). The far signal in this view is the west leg of the Wimmer Wye. I apologize for any blurry pictures due to the wind, the cold and the late hour. I waited 45 minutes in the cold (34 degrees) for a train to come, being there was a green signal, which is normally yellow. Then I ran out of light. Oh Well. These were taken with a Nikon L830, my carry around all the time just in case camera. Tom

UP_MP8_Seymor_031916_14_Small.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a telephoto looking east through the bridge over the extinct Omaha Road(CNW). The far signal in this view is the west leg of the Wimmer Wye. I apologize for any blurry pictures due to the wind, the cold and the late hour. I waited 45 minutes in the cold (34 degrees) for a train to come, being there was a green signal, which is normally yellow. Then I ran out of light. Oh Well. These were taken with a Nikon L830, my carry around all the time just in case camera. Tom

View attachment 132002

Now you are in my old stomping grounds for sure. I have photos of 8444 passing under this bridge on the old CNW line that ran up to Arlington. Now I'm going to have to dig them out.

I would like to see any pictures from the old CNW around that area. Somebody has a picture of the 844 on the bridge over Grover St. Talk about something looking too big for the bridge, that was it.

Here are the only 2 I have from that line. 8444 near 50th street on the CNW then 8444 on the bridge over Grover St..

Trains002.jpg Trains003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back