A few things in southern Minnesota Oct, 2016

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Zoohogger

Whistle Pig
Mrs. Z and I decided visit the bicycling trails in the Mankato Minnesota area. Nowadays many bicycle trails are built on former railroad roadbed.
My favorite railroad, Chicago Great Western, unfortunately has much abandoned roadbed and I have done more than a few miles in Iowa and Minnesota.
Sakatah trail, east from Mankato, the trail west from Dubuque and some around DesMoines. But I digress...

Found Grain Elevator switchers abundant along Hwy 60.
1. Cotton Belt at Worthington. Don't know why they didn't park it where I could get a decent shot.
2. MVPX 1253 at Brewster
3. Conrail 9033 at Milowa
4. Ex Soo 711 at Medalia(Note the Alco Trucks)

IMG_0481.jpg
IMG_0483.jpg
IMG_0486.jpg
IMG_0490.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
More Minnesota railroady things

1. Worthington, Mn Station. CNW I believe
2. Rapidan, MN. Former Milwaukee Road. New foundation and looking good.
3. Another view at Rapidan with a corner of a dilapidated Milw caboose.
4. Very Large Mankato Station.

Sometimes you just need to get out of Omaha.
If you find yourself in that part of the country make sure you drive(or bike) 2 miles west to the Rapidan Dam Store. Get yourself a damburger and some homemade dam pie and Say Hi to Jim the owner.
Best Dam Store in the Area.

IMG_0457.jpg
IMG_0464.jpg
IMG_0467.jpg
IMG_0487.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back