A fan of the CN SD70M-2

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

FR8TRNZ

Just the other day I was coming home from work and noticed a empty ore train ahead. The RR tracks run parallel for about 7-8 miles heading towards my house and the road is about 20 yards from the tracks. After about 2 miles I finally caught up to the lead unit a single freshly ordered CN SD70M-2. We were going about 45mph, nobody was behind me so we stayed parallel for awhile.
I never really paid that much attention and detail to this particular model but I have to say these CN units are tough looking and the CN Horn Sounds awesome, the Black paint on the upper nose also looks tough.
I guess sometimes you get caught up in the moment, or your at the right place at the right time. And in this case the CN SD70M-2, well I gotta say I am now a fan. Just thought I would share this with you since my wife just looked at me and smiled when I told her.
Anybody else a fan of the way the CN SD70M-2's look, or the SD70-2 in general.

ecofreak

Oh yeah, I love the SD-70's. It's my favorite modern-day locomotive. I'll take the throbbing EMD engine sound over a GE unit any day of the week.

Triplex

I like to refer to the current generation EMDs as "democratizing" the look of the SD80/90. The SD70ACe brought that look to roads not interested in high-power single units, and then the SD70M-2 brought the look to roads holding out against AC power.

AlcoFanRS27

I live in Stevens Point and I love seeing CN's SD70M-2's. Yes, their paint scheme does make them look tough. I like all the EMD's CN has. Only GE units I like are those ex UP/CNW units.

RRShutterbug

The Railroad Shutterbug
From a photographer's standpoint - give me a SD70ACe or SD70M-2 any day of the year. But from an engineer's standpoint - I'll take a ES44AC over the ACe every time. The SD70's are very rough riding and noisy inside - especially at very low speed. The ES44's have a great smoother ride and are whisper quiet.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)