5 teens caught on trestle

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Roscoe P. Coaltrain

Hot pursuit in Hazzard Co
Last nite 11/17/11, 5 freshmen students from Liberty University (Jerry Falwell U) who were out "stargazing during the night" were on the NS trestle over the James River in Lynchburg VA and were caught 130 feet inward from the north abutment by a northbound train. The track is the former SOU Atlanta-DC Piedmont corridor main. Of the 5 teens (3 girls, 2 guys), one 18 yo girl was run over and killed. One guy and one girl successfully jumped down below onto the trestle bent for the other missing track (the trestle bents were built for double track, while girders are installed for only 1 track), another girl tried to do the same but fell completely down to the ground, approx 100 feet. She survived the fall, went through surgery, and is in critical condition now. The remaining guy went over the side and dangled down feet-first while clinging arms-only to the bridge timbers as the train passed over.

http://www2.newsadvance.com/news/2011/nov/18/2/one-killed-railroad-trestle-ar-1467732

Royal Hudson 2850

The Rail Hunter
These young people have learned a very realistic and severe lesson on railroad safety and the reasons you shouldn't trespass on RR property. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the deceased and the critically injured.

I hope these teens will consider the consequences before tresspassing again.

Roscoe P. Coaltrain

Hot pursuit in Hazzard Co
Video report here.

Included in the video is a short clip of the special movement of Saudi SD40-2s that were rebuilt at Altoona shops for export.

http://www.wset.com/story/16078474/train

Not included in the news report was the hogger's claim that the deceased girl was already lying down in an attempt to have the train clear her body, probably unsuccessful due to winter clothing.

rjrailfan

Wow. Im 12 and I like to take walks on the short line in front of my house with my girlfriend, but now, I don't think so. we walk out on to a girder and talk, but once, the train came along. she freaked out because she doesn't like trains. the tain only goes 10mph, so we got off, but it scared the daylights out of her. My thoughts and prayrs hang with the ones who were killed and injured. God bless.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)