2 offers BNSF and CP, track or train???

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

EdN

I just got a conditional offer from BNSF for track laborer in district 500 and a conditional from CP for conductor in Portage, WI. What's the better job? What will give me more time at home? Where will I make more money? Any advice is appreciated.

I just got a conditional offer from BNSF for track laborer in district 500 and a conditional from CP for conductor in Portage, WI. What's the better job? What will give me more time at home? Where will I make more money? Any advice is appreciated.

Well that seems like a personal choice based on your interests. Personally I like railroads but have no interest in being a track laborer. It also seems like a very physical job so I'd consider the longevity factor as you age compared with a job on the trains. If time spent at home is an important factor for you I would suggest a different career entirely. Railroads are all about moving goods 24/7 so if you work for one assume you'll be on the road a lot. If you are not then bonus to you.

I just typed about 10 minutes worth of info and the airport WiFi timed out. MOW gives more time at home since they don't normally work weekends and work is usually only during daylight hours. They would work all over in a region so you would stay in a motel during the week and allowed to go home for the weekends. Pay is about $45,000/year but it varies on the job type. For Conductor it' s $60,000 to 110,000/year but they work 24/7 with days off only by request for sickness, fatigue. One week vacation first year, two weeks second year, three in year seven, four in year 17 and five in year 25. Personal leave days is two the first year going up two every five years up to ten days. The more seniority you have the better the job you can get with the possibility of regular days off. You also will be qualified as a switchman who will work in a yard and you may be forced to do that due to seniority. That is the lowest paying job if you are forced to a five day a week eight hour a shift job. That would be in the $48,000 range. Hope this helps. There is a lot more I could say, but this is a start. I'd look up some videos on You Tube to see these personnel in action.

Thanks for all the info. I'm leaning towards the mow job mostly because I wouldn't have to move and the schedule isn't as crazy as that of a conductor. Hope it's the right decision.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back