2 in Ft Wayne and a bunch around Ohio

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

alittlevanwerty

Friday we had errands to run so was a good excuse to catch a few trains. I saw a good sized manifest about ready to go to Chicago, the were just putting on the FRED when we drove by. We went west into Ft Wayne and set up along E Berry St. I didn't think this was a good spot until I got out and looked around. Turns out it is a perfect spot to see the train come through a curve with the Wayne Pump building in the background. Just as I had one camera set up I was surprised by an eastbound pulling through town. I had to wait about another 30 minutes in the cold wind before the train I wanted got moving along. Cool catches in this train were the slug set behind the Dash 9 and a few Milwaukee Road and Delaware & Hudson hoppers.
8651091655_24a9ef1e76.jpg
Me filming a train in Ft Wayne Indiana by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

Saturday the wife had a bachelorette party and I had to pick here up late in Columbus so I had time time find trains in central Ohio. My first catch was a CSX train with UP power in Bellefontaine. I saw the green signal for the eastbound and made it just in time, was setting up the tripod as the gates were going down! I passed by the Honda plant near Marysville and drove around to see what type of operation was there. Lot of GE products and a YN3B SD40-3 but nothing where I could film. In Columbus I spotted a couple of YN3B GP38-2's from Corr Rd.
8652197288_f5827d4707.jpg
CSX 2549 and 2705 by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
8651099273_52da9070fc.jpg
CSX 1563 GP15 and 2771 GP38-2 by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
After getting a tip I found where the OC base of operatins is in Columbus but unfortunately they were not running here today.
8652208680_86efc0e998.jpg
Ohio Central tied down in Columbus by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
I wasted too much time and it was after 4 so I decided to save the drive to find the I&O in Lancaster for another day. Following the CSX/NS lines south out of Columbus I was frustrated to find that the first grade crossing was in Duvall (and soon to be overpassed :? ). It was also blocked by a NS intermodal that was being set up and would soon run south. Even though there was no CSX crossings in Ashvillle I made that my furthest south point of the day. The first NS southbound blew over one of my cameras and put a huge gouge in the screen. Still works thankfully. The second southbound was the intermodal that had the Duvall crossing blocked. I also shot a CSX coal drag at a distance. I waited a while for a northbound but no luck. As soon as I was pulling out of town I heard a northbound. I managed to catch it in Duvall. The last train I shot was a CSX coming across a bridge in downtown Columbus. I decided to just edit all into one video and also put a NS autorack/well train I shot in Leipsic on Sunday.

Sunday after visiting some stores in Defiance we went looking for trains! We saw PREX 3054 tied down with about 10 cars in Jewell but was facing west so was not a good shot. There was also a backhoe and at least MofW man working on the line behind Johns Manville Plant 8. We followed the Garrett sub to Deshler but no trains til Deshler. We saw 2 westbounds almost racing each other (1 passed about a minute before the next came through) on both mains but didn't have the cameras ready. We were lucky with a nice one coming north on the Toledo sub though! Ex Conrail power leading and I tried 2 new angles. Let me know what you think! Plenty of railfans railfans enjoying the nice day.
8651119337_18260ac86d.jpg
Ex Conrail SD60M on the Toledo Sub by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
Also back in Defiance there was a rail train. Judging by equipment around it looks like they will lay it out somewhere behind Defiance and Deshler. Anyone got details?
8651113977_bcf9113914.jpg
Loaded Rail Train in Defiance by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)