2-6-0 Mogul "Old Hickory" U.S.A. Number 1

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ColCampbell

I discovered a black & white image in the railroad pictures I inherited from my late father. He was a railroad fan and modeler. This image depicts a 2-6-0 Mogul locomotive with a straight stack that is flared out at the top and two round-topped cylindrical domes on the boiler. The tender has a sloped rear sides. The tender is lettered "U. S. A." and the side of the cab has the name "Old Hickory" above a circled number "1".

I know Moguls were built and used in the 1860s, but all of the pictures I can find on-line of Civil War locomotives are 4-4-0s with inverted cone shaped stacks, labelled as either U.S. Military Railroad or USMRR.

Could this be a Civil War era locomotive? I'm not sure as the tender looks "modern" with the sloped rear sides and the non-standard U.S.A. marking.

The image is glued to a pasteboard backing with no other identification data.

Thanks,

Jim

USA_locomotive_1_Old_Hickory.jpg

On more consideration, could this have been a US based military locomotive during WW1? I know that the locomotives sent to France were almost all 2-8-0 Consolidations. But could this have been part of the military railroad operations inside the continental US?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back