1947 NYC to Wash., DC

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

carlgurt

Memory: leaving NYC's Penn Station to travel to Wash., DC in ~1947. Did the train ever cross the Delaware River by Ferry?

CarlGurt

muralist0221

I doubt that the Congressional, for example crossed the Delaware by ferry. There were numerous ferry boats crossing the Hudson to connect N.Y.C. passengers with New Jersey and New York state communities including the New York Central, Erie, Lackawana, Pennsylvania and Jersey Central. I am old enough to have ridden those boats.

carlgurt

Dear muralist0221 - Thanks for the response. I remember those Hudson River ferries; I remember in 1960/61 waiting with my friend for them as he went back to school in western NY. But I'm referring to the Delaware. And my memory is very hazy. Carlgurt

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)