Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. A

One BIG grain train

Got a heads up from a friend, about a 215 car westbound grain empty, so before going home from work I drove to downtown Abilene to wait on it. Photo 1: UP 5870, UP 6702, UP 5261 lead the train thru downtown. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ A little while later, the mid train DP...
  2. A

Finally!

Finally completed my collection of UP special painted units , UP 1111 approaches Herington Ks, leading westbound manifest MASHN-18 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 12/19/20
  3. A

Sunday morning chase

Went on a "little" road trip with my good friend and neighbor Walt, to catch a westbound UP power move EHNSIG (Herington Ks-Salina Ks Grain). We set up just north of Navarre, on the BNSF Strong City sub, to start our chase. the first 6 shots are from there. Consist was NS 4025, NS 1111, UP...
  4. A

Newton Kansas road trip 7/24/20

Decided to get out of Abilene for a change, and headed to the BNSF LaJunta sub and see what was there. Wasn't disappointed, as I caught a meet at Walton Ks, which is a few miles east of Newton 1: BNSF 3860 leads westbound windmill blades, toward a meet at Walton. 2: After the westbound cleared...
  5. A

Salina Kansas Shenanigans

Had to make a trip to Salina Ks this morning to grab some items, and of course a drive by the tracks was on the agenda! First 8 shots were taken in town. Last photo was taken on my way home, I saw a headlight coming westbound, so I stopped at New Cambria Ks, and caught a rare (nowadays for...
  6. A

Enterprise Ks Extravaganza

Some shots from yesterday and today, that I shot in the neighboring small town of Enterprise Ks First 7 shots taken 7/4/20 last 4 shots taken 7/5/20
  7. A

Solomon Ks Road trip!

Rode over to Solomon Ks with a friend, Here's what I shot while over in the area. First 2 are of a UP eastbound grain preparing to be DP'ed, and fueled while parked on the Kyle railroad main, last 3 are on the UP main just east of town, in the siding
  8. A

Newton Ks 5/22/20

I went to the BNSF Newton Kansas service area, and found the following: BNSF 5543 BNSF 2758 & BNSF 554 BNSF 7688 (stack capped,likely going to the dead line) BNSF 554, the unit that defies going to the storage line BNSF 8186 BNSF 8060 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I found the dead line of...
  9. A

What is going wrong

Been scratching my head over what happens sometimes when I shoot in sunny conditions. In this shot the sun was behind me, time was about 5 pm local. Here's the photo info: Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T2i F-stop: f/5.6 Exposure time: 1/2000 sec. ISO speed: ISO 400 Exposure bias +0.7 step Focal...
  10. A

Abilene Kansas Action 2020

My catches from today
  11. A

Back again

After a long absence (and forgetting my old account info) I decided to re join and share photos of what stuff does run thru my hometown of Abilene Ks ~* Jeff*~
  12. A

Surprise catch!

Was watching local grain elevator switcher pull a cut of cars out, to shove back to the loader, when this popped up on a passing UP westbound grain train. I had no clue it was even heading this way
  13. A

UP Funeral train

Head a horn about 8 am, went to investigate and saw UP 6461 approaching, leading an SD70M, C60/44AC and 5 UPY switchers, #s 1478,1427,1446,1487,1448
  14. A

Caught another one!

Heard this was coming into Salina Ks on the MDVSI, so while there last Monday, I spotted it on a track west of the servicing area. This is best shot I could get from a public road, as I did not want to trespass to get a better one
  15. A

Yes!!! I finally did it

Been seeing reroutes from the washed out bridge on the UP's Golden State Route. Got word from a friend that UP 1982 was DPU on the MDMHN. I went downtown at 10 pm, and got a video of the train, and a photo capture of 1982. I now have caught all 6 UP heritage units..................... YES!!
  16. A

Mega UP power move

Caught a large power move of 20 units, it had UP 5290, 5436, 7428, 5479, 8630, and switchers UPY 1373, 1363, 1357, 1365, 1362, 1391, 1377, 1374, 1387, 1392, 1384, 1381, 1369, 1371 and 1425. All are MP15DC's except the last switcher which is a MP15AC. I've heard, the switchers are being sold...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back