Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Once the Glory Days are Gone

Once the Glory Days are Gone

Local traffic around Willow Springs and Lemont once warranted a yard here at the end of the Argonne Branch. However, the decline of local traffic and the building of nearby Willow Springs yard most likely resulted in the dismantling of Argonne Yard. Here, extended vision caboose no...
  2. Through the Ozarks

Through the Ozarks

When one thinks of mountain railroading, Arkansas isn't usually the first place that comes to mind. But, the Ozarks offer up some spectacular mountian railroading. Here, UP AC440OCW no. 6851 is heading through Cotter on the MP's former beautiful White River Line and part of the Missouri and...
  3. A glimpse of days past...

A glimpse of days past...

The conductor punches ticket stubs, as visitors to the Elgin Trolley Museum take a ride on vintage CTA car no. 4451, which was built by the Cincinatti Car Company in 1924.
  4. Lemont Vista

Lemont Vista

One of the last westbound Texas Eagles to run on the current schedule is heading abnormally slow through Lemont today. To the left of the train is Canal Street, and Petersons Hardware, and awesome store that carries nearly everything. Amtrak GE P42DC no. 165 with Train 21 on October 25, 2006.
  5. Oiling the 6988

Oiling the 6988

A engineer/mechanic oils QJ 6988 while it's stopped at Bureau Juntion, IL on September 16, 2006.
  6. Sitting at Union Station

Sitting at Union Station

Since someone already uploaded a pic of UP 1995(*cough* Joe *cough*), I am pleased to provide you with this view of of METX 421, an MP36PH-3S, as it sits at Chicago Union Station's North Concourse on July 15, 2006.
  7. Dwarf Signal

Dwarf Signal

After waiting for two Amtrak trains to clear, BNSF 4871, breaks the diamonds at Joliet with Eastbound stacks. A dwarf signal clarifies the fact that you shouldn't head toward an oncoming train. Fuji Finepix S5100, 1/400 at F/5. 12/10/05 at 9:28:34 A.M.
  8. S

Comment by 'slopes09' in media 'Transcon Bridge Out1'

This could explain why the trains were running odd on the 8th in Lemont, you'd get two through west, then two east, etc.
  9. ALL ABOARD!

ALL ABOARD!

At Joliet Union Station on 12/10/06, the conductor of the inbound Statehouse(train AMTK 300) checks his watch before yelling "ALL ABOARD!"
  10. S

Comment by 'slopes09' in media 'Thompson Steel's CF7'

I think that the old Thompson Steel plant is now a used to make and/or store patio bricks and such. Either way, they definatly don't make steel anymore. You can still see the places where the tracks used to be though.
  11. S

Comment by 'slopes09' in media 'Southbound to Joliet'

Another nice one. Too bad plant security won't let you stay there and take pictures anymore.
  12. S

Comment by 'slopes09' in media 'GP60M's through Romeo'

I love the shot. This is where my dad used to take me to train watch when I was 5 and 6(around '95). I'm guessing you took it from the old approach to the swing bridge that crossed the Sanitary and Shipping Canal bridge into Romeo. Brings back memories.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back