Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. east_bay_alex

Amtrak San Joaquin 710

As of recently, Amtrak San Joaquin train 710 & 719 between Oakland and Bakersfield, CA have been using the new Siemens Venture passenger cars. I photographed southbound train 710 at Control Point: EBCS East Mariposa. In the background is the BNSF Mariposa Intermodal Facility. Lots of Amazon...
  2. east_bay_alex

CA's Central Valley in Winter

I realized a while back I never get in front of the camera for my railfan outings. Here's a decent video showcasing an entire day along the BNSF's Stockton Sub and Union Pacific's Fresno/Tracy subs in and around the Escalon and Lathrop/Manteca areas.
  3. east_bay_alex

INPOA-24 Santa's Last Hurrah

A late morning Christmas Eve section of the Oakland, CA to North Platte, NE intermodal is highballing Radum as they accelerate out of Pleasanton for a quick run through Livermore and over Altamont Pass. It appears the flag decal on UP 6766 was recently burned or flaked off after a presumable...
  4. east_bay_alex

INPOA-24 Santa's Last Hurrah!

A late morning run of stacks on Christmas Eve heads east out of Oakland. Locations are Radum, CA and Tracy, CA on the Union Pacific's Oakland Subdivision running between Oakland and Stockton. This is the old Western Pacific mainline.
  5. east_bay_alex

ZG2OAB - OAKLAND SUB in 4K!!

This was a pretty decent sized ZG2OAB intermodal that rolled into the Bay Area while it was still light out. See video description for additional details.
  6. east_bay_alex

Morning ACE Train Rush

Thanks Bret. I spec'd out a heavy duty Manfrotto tripod I could easily open, align and close-up quickly for railfanning.
  7. ACE 05 - Radum, CA

ACE 05 - Radum, CA

The 3rd westbound of the morning races toward the next stop at Pleasanton. The train is passing the Vulcan Materials Company Pleasanton Landfill. Railroad location is known as Radum. The siding along the former SP right of way just out of frame to the right is often used to store empty TTX well...
  8. east_bay_alex

Long Exposure ACE Train

Long exposure of the action as ACE 08 glides through East Hearst on the Oakland Sub. This is the 3rd of 4 evening eastbound commute trains. Traffic heading home from the Silicon Valley on Interstate 680 can been seen through the trees between the signals. Descriptions are below each photo...
  9. east_bay_alex

Morning ACE Train Rush

ACE can be hard to catch during the week for most railfans as it is a weekday only operation running between Stockton and San Jose. There are 4 trains westbound in the morning and 4 eastbound in the evening during peak commute time. The equipment is in a bit of a transition period as the...
  10. east_bay_alex

Evening at Emeryville, CA Amtrak Station

A quick spur of the moment trip on a Monday evening catching some Amtrak and BNSF action.
  11. east_bay_alex

Tehachapi Railfan Trip - May 2019

Here's a pretty nice long video of some Tehachapi freight action from BNSF and UP in the span of two days. Included is some foreign power and pacing a unit coil steel train.
  12. east_bay_alex

New Cast P3

A quick video of a double-diaphragm new cast P3 run-by and inside vehicle.
  13. east_bay_alex

Nathan Airchime K5LLA combos and a Leslie S-3L-R

Here's the older K5HL variant of the same horn:
  14. east_bay_alex

UP ZG2OA at Dutch Flat, CA with Centerbeam Flats?

Precision Based Railroading at it's best? Definitely unique to see a premium intermodal with a long string of empty centerbeam flatcars at the end.
  15. east_bay_alex

Nathan Airchime K5LLA combos and a Leslie S-3L-R

Here's a good video of some different K5LLA combos. The Nathan Airchime K5LLA is commonly found on EMD SD70ACe locomotives and typically speaking is a very common horn on today's railroads alongside the K5HL variant. The sound of an K5LLA is achieved with a 2-Piece 1L bell and was before the...
  16. east_bay_alex

Niles Canyon Railway's Holiday Train of Lights

Oh yeah! 5472 has a great 567 non-turbo growl! I love the gyralight sweeping around too. We were commenting on that all night. Thanks for watching!
  17. east_bay_alex

Niles Canyon Railway's Holiday Train of Lights

**Skip to 10:07 for NCRY Holiday train** Thanks for watching! Feedback is welcome as always. ;)
  18. east_bay_alex

Fremont, Alviso, Niles Jct & Niles Canyon Railway's Train of Lights 2018

Here is a relatively long and detailed video of East Bay and South Bay railroad action along former Southern Pacific lines through Fremont on the Centerville line, Coast Sub, Niles Sub, Warm Springs, and Niles Canyon Railway's Holiday Train of Lights. Thanks for watching! Feedback is welcome...
  19. Granite Rock Co. No. 10

Granite Rock Co. No. 10

Granite Rock Company No. 10 is an 0-6-0 steam locomotive built in 1942 by H.K. Porter for the Granite Rock Company. The engine was used for Granite Rock Company as a switcher. It resides at the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento, CA.
  20. east_bay_alex

Trackside access at Tehachapi Loop???

A year ago I was on the pass in the spring and other local railfans said the access to the loop was still restricted per the rancher who lives in the loop. He built a pretty significant fence and gate on the access road with "NO TRESPASSING" signs if I remember correctly. Bummer for sure...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back