Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. mkstarks

Railfanning Around Northern California

Thanks guys! No, no appearance by the rotary in years. They have yet to run the spreaders in continuous service yet. Amtrak's California Zephyr heads westbound. The AGBMI actually ran in front of the flanger set, 4 units (3x1) and 8200' of racks in the snow. The DS had the common sense to...
  2. mkstarks

Thanks Brad! My friends and I have continued our snowbound shenanigans, with 4 storms lined up, a weekend on Donner was required. UP 602 is westbound with a flanger yesterday as it passes through Yuba Gap on Donner Pass. Merry Christmas and a Happy Holidays to all.
  3. mkstarks

Amtrak's California Zephyr is eastbound as it comes into Benicia, CA from Martinez. A westbound Capitol train heads past the C and H Sugar Cane plant at Crockett, CA. Operating with UP power, California Northern's Suisun local heads west.
  4. mkstarks

We were up on the hill all day, those two shots were taken between 2-330pm. There's a certain serenity in being up there and all you hear before the train is silence.
  5. mkstarks

UP 6612 leads the MRORVW 22 westbound at Emigrant Gap yesterday as I-80 is completely devoid of vehicles as the snow begins to fall again. UP 7238 leads the westbound AGBMI 21 as it works its way over the pass.
  6. mkstarks

As far as I know, they have put that project off as there just isn't enough business to sustain the operations and upkeep if they were to open it. If you're referring to the Skunk Train, unfortunately there's been some damage to the line and operations are currently suspended.
  7. mkstarks

It is indeed, all the wires over the train are from the chair lifts and power lines that lead to it.
  8. mkstarks

As far as I know, it unfortunately is not at this present time. Monday was day one of a two day adventure (CORP shot was day 2). We made our way through my home turf of the FRC, unfortunately the previous days rain had triggered many minor slides that needed to be cleaned up and traffic was at...
  9. mkstarks

With the help of a federal Tiger grant as well as county monies and private funds, the Siskiyou line reopened last Wednesday. CORP has begun to run trains over the line again after a 7 year closure...
  10. mkstarks

Central Oregon and Pacific (CORP) GP38-2 #2068 handles the switching duties at Roseburg Forest Products in Weed, CA. Good to see snow, finally!
  11. mkstarks

A Week in Alaska

ARR 3006 leads the DOTX 219 out of the siding at Girdwood, AK.
  12. mkstarks

A Week in Alaska

Myself and several friends just returned yesterday from a week in Alaska where we were the guests of the Alaska Railroad and their fantastic employees. I'll be slowly working through all the photos and videos over the next few weeks, but wanted to take the time to start the thread. *All photos...
  13. mkstarks

New from Northern California

Welcome to the forum, Chris!
  14. mkstarks

Thanks guys! Granite Rock #10 prepares to hit the rails of the Sacramento Southern at CSRM.
  15. mkstarks

Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2015

FYI, major work window coming up for us here in the FRC starting over the next two weeks or so and supposedly lasting a month. BNSF trains will be rerouted over the Valley sub due to the work and everything. Just a heads up so you don't waste too much time/gas coming all the way up here.
  16. mkstarks

BNSF 7140 east through the Serpentines. Westbound UP train streaks through Swanston in Sacramento. UP 8894 east leading the detoured ZOAG2 due to the derailment on the Nevada Sub.
  17. mkstarks

UP 8869 leads the westbound PRORV2 15 through the Feather River Canyon.
  18. mkstarks

The feather river express approaches PG&E's Poe Diversion Dam as it heads west through the Feather River Canyon in Northern California.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back