Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. RacerTodd

Coal Hopper Capacity Questions

The trucks have a specified maximum load. The gross rail load for a pair of "110 ton" trucks is specified by the manufacturer at 286,000 lbs. Weight the newly built car. That is the LT WT. Subtract LT WT from 286,000 and that is the LD LMT. Add the two numbers on the cars you...
  2. RacerTodd

Original WarBonnet in Seattle

They're SD75M's. Todd
  3. RacerTodd

What are some of the oldest diesel locomotives still in service today?

BNSF 1551 is, as far as I know, still running around Balmer Yard in Seattle switching the hump yard. It's a SD9-3, originally built in 1954. Has a low nose, instead of the high nose it originally had. I read that 4 of these are still in use, numbered 1550-1553. Pics...
  4. RacerTodd

Cascade West Portal - Videos

I think that is an empty crude oil train. If I'm not mistaken, the only unit tank trains in the area are the crude oil trains to and from Anacortes. I think ethanol tank cars come in to Seattle on regular manifest trains. You can tell by the HazMat number on the tank cars. Can't read them in...
  5. RacerTodd

Sounder MP40PH-3C locos on a revenue run

Saw one of Sound Transit's new MP40PH-3C locos on a regular revenue run both yesterday and today. It was running the Seattle to Tacoma leg. I know they were testing lately but this was the first time I saw one on the normal schedule. The locos look OK, but man oh man - do they have a...
  6. RacerTodd

BNSF track projects, WA State 2014

Here is a photo from 1912, courtesy of the UW digital collection: http://digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/transportation/id/133 Todd
  7. RacerTodd

Northwest Spokane: street industrial tracks history/photos?

Did some quick Googling. Found this document concerning neighborhood development in the West Central neighborhood of Spokane, the area roughly west of Monroe and south of Indiana. Link to the PDF file...
  8. RacerTodd

Rail Grinder in Marysville, WA

Ah, that makes sense as they seemed to be concentrating on crossings in the short time I observed them. Do crossings and switches take more abuse and need grinding more often? I guess I wonder why they wouldn't just use the full-size grinder and hit the whole stretch of track at once. Todd
  9. RacerTodd

Rail Grinder in Marysville, WA

I was passing through Marysville, WA, a small city about 35 miles north of Seattle. As I came up on the BNSF main, I saw a Loram Rail Grinder working the tracks. They're a rare beast to see, in fact this was my first time seeing one in person. I quickly made my delivery and doubled back to...
  10. RacerTodd

My WA photos

I'm no expert but here goes a simple version. If this is incorrect, I'm sure a real railroader will speak up and correct me! A signal indicates the status of the next block of track. If there is only one signal head, that means the next block of track does not any turnouts - there is only...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back