Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. CGW101c

Bill Anderson

I am sad today at hearing the news that a Railroad Forums regular Bill Anderson has lost his battle with cancer. I enjoyed his images and his midwest kindred spirit. He will be missed. Tom (CGW101c).
  2. CGW101c

Omaha Posse 2021

Happy 2nd month of the New Year!!! Going to start a fresh thread for the Omaha Posse. Feel free to add anytime. Trip to Fremont and Valley today to test some sound recording equipment. BNSF was switching the south end. UP 819 was dropping cars at the BNSF transfer on the west end and had to wait...
  3. CGW101c

BNSF 6075 The 25th Anniversary Locomotive

Spotted today at Waverly NE about 2pm westbound. If you see it let us know here.
  4. CGW101c

Anybody near Hamlet Indiana?

At the grain elevator there may still be a GP9 #753 that used to be CNW 1719. I rode in it in 1971 and spent many hours recording the sound. Just wondering if the ole girl was still kickin.
  5. CGW101c

Some Old Prints

As we have some time to scan and sort boxes of prints from 1980 to 2000 or so, here are "some old prints". This first batch is from my brand new in 1998 N65 Nikon film camera. I finally could afford a new camera. 8 years or so later digital changed life as we knew it. Some of the Topeka KS BNSF...
  6. CGW101c

Chicago Great Western north of West Chicago IL

In the blink of an eye 57 years passes but the memories of F units at Ingalton stay. Ingalton on the Chicago Great Western north of West Chicago IL. Happy New year to all you train nuts, railfans, and historians.
  7. CGW101c

Omaha Posse visits the Cumbres and Toltec

Parts of the Posse went west this week to the Narrow Gauge. Here are a few from a 3 day trip. We went primarily to find some spots to record the sound of steam away from the highway. I hiked to a point just to the west of Windy Point. No easy task for an old geezer at 10,000 feet. Other...
  8. CGW101c

C&TS and few others

2315 miles of driving, mostly to ride the C&TS but many stops on the way there and back. Being retired is great. Stuffed and mounted at the Royal Gorge is the 499 and couple of views into the gorge. Heard the train down there but didn't see. Apparently this is station to go up to the bridge...
  9. CGW101c

Some Old Slides Rerun

Since we haven't seen these in a couple of years I am going to repost them just for fun.
  10. CGW101c

UP Small Passenger Train

Headed west out of Omaha about 9am. No Idea where it's headed or the reason.
  11. CGW101c

July 2018 Catch up

I usually carry 2 cameras. One is a Nikon P900 which I like because it is lightweight and has a great zoom on it. I had the opportunity to serve as a car host on the UP Museum fundraising train that was run on the day after the Frontier Days train in Denver. This trip allowed the UP to return...
  12. CGW101c

C&TS Fireman School

Spent last week in the Narrow Gauge steam capital, Chama, NM. I always wanted to shovel coal and learn the operation of the narrow gauge. We had some great instructors and spent 3 days on the train from Chama to Antonito, running the full line from both directions, learning how to fire and...
  13. CGW101c

Huron and Eastern #100

Does anybody know if the Huron and Eastern GP9 #100 still exists? I am trying to find out what horn was on the CNW 1720 and in the Youtube video of the 100 the horn is very close if not exactly like the 1720. I think it may have been a horn manufactured by Prime. It is my absolute favorite horn...
  14. CGW101c

CN 5430 on former IC tracks

Westbound at Quincy Trail Road, Just west of Woodbine Iowa on the former IC. The giant 6 car train heads for Council Bluffs. At this point the CN parallels the CNW(UP) until it crosses over the UP at Willet about 2 miles west of Quincy Trail RD
  15. CGW101c

Question on steam loco engineer's protective clothing

I have operated a 30 ton Austrian 0-6-2T for over 30 years and will be heading to the C&TS in Chama, NM later next year and would like to get some protective arm sleeves. I usually see them in old photos of locomotive crews. The only ones I see on the internet are Kevlar, which wasn't invented...
  16. CGW101c

Late November Omaha Area Catch Up

Just some stuff from around Omaha and Council Bluffs. Some UP passenger cars at the Heritage Shops, The UP 1943 on the Missouri River bridge and some other stuff.
  17. CGW101c

30 degrees at Oreopolis, 11/22/2017

Some fun numbers for Bill. A NB UP Train and some EB and WB BNSF trains. Form A's and Form B's abound on the Creston sub today. Probably pre holiday work. 4 or 5 westbounds piled up. I didn't wait for the whole parade. EB Crossing the UP at Oreopolis WB Crossing the UP at Oreopolis...
  18. CGW101c

Chama, NM October 6,2017

Took trip to Antonito CO. and Chama NM last week. Great fall colors and of coal fired STEAM locomotives. More private property signs along the line east from Chama. Plenty of pull offs on Hwy 17 but a hike along the tracks in some places could change the views. I understand that with the sheer...
  19. CGW101c

No Hurricanes or Fires. But where is the Posse?

I finally got out for quick trip to Lincoln NE the other day. Railfanning is hampered by road destruction. I am assuming they will put the roadway back together someday. Anyway here two BNSF trains coming along side each other just south of Waverly and the signal indications they were facing...
  20. CGW101c

UP 844 back towards Cheyenne July 1, 2017

Heading back to Cheyenne on the old CNW is the 844 crossing the Elkhorn River at Arlington Artsy bridge shot. I like it Standard shot at Fremont.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back