Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. shay2305

Brakes

Air brakes should never be relied upon to hold an unattended train or cut of cars. The best method to secure a train is to set the required number of handbrakes. Once the handbrakes are set the engineer releases the air brakes and then you wait until everything is released to see what happens...
  2. shay2305

Three Modes of Traction in Portland, Oregon

I made a trip to Portland, OR to visit friends at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center on Saturday November 6, 2021. SP 4449 was out side having its various systems tested in preparation for the upcoming Holiday Express. While I was watching the work progress a Portland Street Car crossed over the...
  3. shay2305

Steam whistles, hot air, and collectors

#5 has not run in 10 to 15 years. However I think the Ashton whistle may have been put on Hammond Lumber #17. I haven't been to the Mt Rainier Railroad in over 15 years.
  4. shay2305

Steam whistles, hot air, and collectors

When Mount Rainier Scenic Railroad ran the Porter Mikado #5 she carried an Ashton 3 chime whistle. Arguably the best sounding whistle I've ever heard.
  5. shay2305

Locomotive boiler explosion

This not caused by overpressure of the boiler due to a failed safety valve. Instead it is caused by low boiler water level. Water level over the crown sheet, top of firebox, keeps the crown sheet cool enough to maintain its strength. When the water level drops below the crown sheet it will heat...
  6. shay2305

Brake lever question F units

In a nut shell: There are two handles for the air brakes. The independent or locomotive bake controls the locomotive only. The Automatic or train brake will control the train and locomotive. The independent is the smaller of the two handles. To apply the locomotive brake the engineer...
  7. shay2305

Visiting Albany Oregon late October 2016

Here is another view from a few feet away.
  8. shay2305

Can you identify this? (very old part from train)

The A.A.R on the stands for Association of American Railroads. National is likely the company that manufactured the lid. With AAR on the lid it would probably fit a standardized box and therefor fit many different models of journal boxes. According to Wikipedia AAR was formed in 1934.
  9. shay2305

My best guess is a later model lid, say 1940s or later. I base that on the fact that it is two piece with the spring to help keep the lid tight. The lids I've seen on earlier arch bar trucks have been a single piece casting.
  10. shay2305

It's a journal box lid. Prior to the use of roller bearings the axles had a journal machined on the end which would fit inside a box cast in the side frame of the truck. Sitting on top of the journal was a babbitt lined brass bearing held in place with a wedge and the weight of the car. Under...
  11. shay2305

Big Bang Theory

BTW, It was Sheldon playing with trains. "HO scale: half the size, twice the fun." Leonard was off at a wedding with Seldon's girlfriend Amy. Love the show.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back