Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. R

Did a bridge builder construct a two-track bridge where the tracks "overlapped"? (Gauntlet)

Manyears ago I was told thathe contract was for a two-track bridge. The builder built the tracks so thathey overlapped. Only one train could use the bridge at a time. A frog at each end allowed the eastbound track's north rail to cross the westbound track's south rail so thathe eastbound north...
  2. R

Is the spectacular curved stone arch bridge in east Pittsburgh, Pa, still present? Still in use?

As a child I remember father driving through a park under it. Looked high andangerous. Heading westbound on the track paralleling the south bank of the Allegheny River, the track gained elevation and then curved south on the bridge. Thank you.
  3. R

Railroaders Memorial Museum ruins it for travelers wanting to visit Horseshoe Curve on Mondays.

Manyears ago we visited Horseshoe Curve during Thanksgiving holiday travels - the only times we could visit. "closed November-early February". The lastime we traveled through the area, we.re free to visit. Out-of-state travelers had me take photos of them witheir cameras. What gives the...
  4. R

Was there a track branching north from the north side of Horseshoe Curve?

When I was a child, my great uncle, a PRR steam locomotivengineer, may have told me thathere was a track branching off the PRR Main Line from the north side of Horseshoe curve. Am I remembering correctly? Where did it go? When taken up? Thank you
  5. R

Will UP's "Big Boy" 4014 require specially-treated water?

Or can they replenish the tender with water from fire hydrants when it tours the country? Thank you.
  6. R

Are new locomotive horns less loud than old?

Due to noise pollution issues? Thank you.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back