Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Thunderheads loom over the silhouette of a BNSF SD70MAC near Roggen, CO.
  2. Flower & Power

Flower & Power

In a almost psychedelic blast of color, a trio of GE's rush the Chicago to Denver Z train past wild sunflowers near Roggen, CO.
  3. Endless Trestle

Endless Trestle

This particular trestle, about 2 miles west of Deer Trail, CO, is pretty long to start with, but in the view of a 17mm lens it almost seems to go on forever! The view is of a eastbound UP coal load on the UP Limon Subdivision. Post-processing was pretty basic with nothing really creative...
  4. Phramnarg

Comment by 'Phramnarg' in media 'I.C.E. 6423'

Very nice Leia, there are few places in the USA that can match the scenery of the Gorge. I've been following your photos as of late and you do a very good job. I see you have a good understanding of the importance of post-processing of digital photos. I hope you don't mind, but I downloaded...
  5. Phramnarg

Comment by 'Phramnarg' in media 'Tying Down For The Night'

Thanks all....Curious, actually the crewman was quite friendly, though tired and ready to go home and get some rest. He had just finished setting the handbrake on the 8635 and looked up just as I pressed the shutter button. I'm not sure what time the local crew goes on duty, but I believe...
  6. Heading North

Heading North

A northbound general freight with UP 3951 on the point rolls into LaSalle, CO. Sorry about the dark noses, I know they don't make for great photos. But I wanted this mountain backdrop photo and it's kinda hard to get a sunlit nose on a northbound train...except maybe early in the morning on...
  7. Tying Down For The Night

Tying Down For The Night

After a long day a tired crewman from the Longmont local calls it a day after tying down the power in front of the Longmont depot. Canon EOS 5D Sigma 17-35mm f2.8-4 @ 17mm ISO 200, f/8, 1/800s
  8. Rippling Reflection

Rippling Reflection

Waters of Little Thompson Creek ripple the reflection of BNSF 4631 as it leads the Denver to Laurel freight northbound towards Berthoud, CO. Canon EOS 5D Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 @ 17mm ISO 200 f/11 1/400s
  9. Big Sky

Big Sky

No, it's not Montana, it's Longs Peak siding between Longmont and Berthoud, CO...but a 17mm lens will make any sky look as big as any view in Montana! The Laurel to Denver train chugs slowly to the top of Berthoud Hill at south Longs Peak with BNSF 1122 leading the trio of power. Canon EOS...
  10. Just Bluffing

Just Bluffing

Golden late afternoon sunlight shines upon a westbound coal empty as UP 5909 leads it around the bluffs at Pine Bluffs, WY. Canon EOS 5D Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 @ 20mm ISO 200, f/11, 1/400s
  11. Nebraska Curve

Nebraska Curve

Yes, there really are some curves on the UP Transcon in Nebraska. In this shot UP 4587 leads a general freight around a curve between Pine Bluffs, WY and Bushnell, NE. You know they claim we're in a recession right now, but by the number of UP trains I saw (22 in about 6 hours) and the huge...
  12. Tired And Tattooed

Tired And Tattooed

Tired looking and tattooed with UP patches and graffiti, an ex-SP Geep 40 leads a local back home to LaSalle, CO. Since installing ATCS on the Greeley Sub, UP has been removing code line and poles between Platteville and LaSalle, opening up some great photo ops of trains with mountain views...
  13. Topping Loveland Hill

Topping Loveland Hill

BNSF 5437 is on the point of the Laural to Denver train as it's about to pass under the new U.S. 287 overpass near Campion, CO. Anyone else every climb a chain link fence, poke your head and camera over the top, hang on to the fence for life with one hand while shooting a pic using a 300mm...
  14. Left Turn On To Atwood Street

Left Turn On To Atwood Street

BNSF 4444 leads a autorack/stack train down the middle of Atwood Street in Longmont, CO. Not quite real "street running" as the railroad is separated from the street by a curb, but one lane of Atwood runs on the east side of the track, the other lane on the west side of the...
  15. Soft Light, Short Bridge

Soft Light, Short Bridge

I sat for 3 hours along the UP Greeley Sub at Carr, CO looking at empty tracks. 4:00 PM arrived, the sun was getting low and behind some medium cloud cover, rendering the light pretty soft. I was ready to pack it in and head home when my ATCS Monitor indicated the dispatched had just...
  16. Prairie Roller

Prairie Roller

A westbound coal load lead by BNSF 9397 rolls across the eastern Colorado prairie near Crest, CO. Canon EOS 5D Sigma 100-300 f/4 @ 300mm ISO 200 1/500s f/11
  17. Urban Sprawl

Urban Sprawl

A coal load rumbles along near West Barr on the BNSF Brush Subdivision. Just a a very few years ago it was basically open farmland on the other side of the tracks. In another couple of years I'll probably have to shoot this image from the front yard of a house in a 5000 unit housing...
  18. Typical Telephoto Of A Train At Tonville

Typical Telephoto Of A Train At Tonville

BNSF 9384 west leaves the siding after meeting 3 trains at Tonville, CO in this supertelephoto shot. Canon EOS 5D Sigma 100-300 f/4 + 2x teleconverter @ 600mm ISO 800 1/1600s f/11
  19. Reeds And Weeds

Reeds And Weeds

Coal load BNSF 6198 moves west through the switch at West Barr as I shoot through a patch of cattails. Canon EOS 5D Sigma 100-300mm f/4 + 1.4x teleconverter @ 420m ISO 400 1/800s f/11
  20. H1's On the Move

H1's On the Move

A pair of SD40-2's lead a southbound ballast train out of Longmont, CO. Darn it BNSF, wash your locos! :) Canon EOS 5D Sigma 100-300 f/4 + 1.4 teleconverter @ 420mm ISO 200 1/400s f/11

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back