Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. G

Help: Tool Identification

That usually goes with a hand throw switch as a set of two. It's used to lock the switch handle so it can't be thrown by unauthorized persons. The hole near the top is for a switch lock. The cutouts in the base are for spikes holding it to a tie. They are generally bought from companies that...
  2. G

Anyone know what this was used for?

These were used to store fire fighting equipment out of the weather. Hoses on wheeled reels, buckets of sand, fire extinguishers, etc. They were made of steel so they wouldn't burn. They were usually painted red.
  3. G

Howdy, new member here.

That's called approach lighting. The signal is dark until a train passes the next in approach to that one then it lights up. This is to help reduce electricity usage and to prolong bulb life. The yellow wss the signal changing afret the train cleared the block ahead of that signal. Shouldn't...
  4. G

PRR retiree pocket watch

If you look at the inside of the back of the watch case, you will probably see a similar symbol as on the bag and/or the word Keystone. This is the company that made the watch case. It is not a reference to the Pennsylvania Railroad. The bag is what the case was shipped in. As you stated, it is...
  5. G

Looking for the Hurlbut Woodland park zoo train , Seattle WA

That would be me. I've had the engine for several years now. I was going to modify it to 12 inch gauge. Now, I'd rather see it go to someone that wants to restore it. I bought it from a 12 inch operator in Laport, IN.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back