Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Profiles in Foamage

Profiles in Foamage

The last day of 2006 found a "museum train" ferrying a partially rebuilt SP 4-6-2 #2472 and other equipment from the Golden Gate Railroad Museum in San Francisco to the Niles Canyon Railway in Sunol, CA. During an inspection stop at Millbrae, lead unit UP 9989, its engineer, and a...
  2. Greenhouse effect

Greenhouse effect

Trying out the "more glass than metal" upper level of new Holland America dome cars at Santa Clara, CA in April 2003 before the cars are shipped off to Alaska for cruise train service.
  3. Light Boxes

Light Boxes

UP 3553 west, train LRD90, stands in the low evening light at Suisun-Fairfield, CA.
  4. E

Comment by 'Evan_Werkema' in media 'Rare Diamond'

San Francisco's Muni is in the process of adding two more train/trolley grade crossings to the list. Their new line on 3rd St. crosses UP industrial spurs at Carroll St. and Cargo Way. I think there's at least one place in San Jose, CA where VTA's Vasona extension is crossed by a spur from the...
  5. E

Comment by 'Evan_Werkema' in media 'Redondo Zirconia'

Yes, thank you Ciao. For those wondering, I had asked about this photo: http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=40750 Those intake shrouds look like something adapted from Southern Pacific's pre-tunnel motor attempts to keep their SD45's cool in the mountains. Judging from...
  6. E

Comment by 'Evan_Werkema' in media 'THE SCENIC ROUTE'

Looks like a regular refrigerator car to me. It wasn't uncommon for railroads to advertise their passenger service on the sides of their freight cars, and those are ordinary freight car trucks on that car. I can't see the ice hatches from this angle, but the yellow paint and plug door...
  7. Redondo Zirconia

Redondo Zirconia

The Santa Fe crosses the Santa Fe at Redondo Junction in Los Angeles, CA, November 28, 1999. The tower still stands boarded up in 2006, but the trackage has been completely reconfigured and the diamonds are gone.
  8. YWestern YWater

YWestern YWater

Yreka Western 2-8-2 #19 gets a drink at Yreka, CA before a run to Montague on June 10, 2006
  9. E

Comment by 'Evan_Werkema' in media 'Sunset route?'

Sorry. With only 22 characters before the ellipsis kicks in, it's gotta be biting but brief.
  10. Sunset route?

Sunset route?

Actually, these are the signals at the east end of Gateley siding in Pinole, CA on the BNSF, former Santa Fe main line to Richmond.
  11. E

Comment by 'Evan_Werkema' in media 'New Mexico New Year'

Just west of the S-curves. After taking this shot, I ran a few hundred feet closer to the tracks and shot the train snaking through the S.
  12. Not RailAmerica

Not RailAmerica

An old Railroad Accessories Corporation logo adorns a rusty equipment case.
  13. E

Comment by 'Evan_Werkema' in media 'Somethings wrong here !'

All it needs now is an air conditioner box from a warbonnet...
  14. Shine your shoes?

Shine your shoes?

SP 2472 is primped and coifed and ready for an excursion down the peninsula from San Francisco to Redwood City and back on December 29, 2002.
  15. Me Your

Me Your

BNSF 7708 east starts across the Muir Trestle near Martinez, CA, April 30, 2006.
  16. New Mexico New Year

New Mexico New Year

With just seconds of sunlight remaining on the last day of 1994, the eastbound Southwest Chief climbs the grade up from the Pecos River at Blanchard, NM.
  17. In your...hood?

In your...hood?

Do end-cab switchers have a "face," per se? The hood end is invariably the front, but that makes for a face that would make Jimmy Durante envious. San Francisco Belt Alco S-2's #49 (ex-23) and 25 had long been fixtures at San Francisco's Golden Gate Railroad Museum, but the units...
  18. E

Comment by 'Evan_Werkema' in media 'Tehachapi Loop, by Moonlight'

Streak-o-light shots around Tehachapi Loop have a history of winning photo contests. Robert Hale took a famous black and white shot very similar to this one decades ago, and I recall reading that it won a non-railroad photographic contest. Bet he's looking down and smiling now.
  19. E

Comment by 'Evan_Werkema' in media 'JD meets BN'

Looks good, but...color??? What's come over you, Martin? :wink:
  20. E

Comment by 'Evan_Werkema' in media 'Seeing red, and silver'

I dunno, Sam. With the way that beast was looking at me, I was worried about "mad cow," myself...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back