Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. A

Canadian Pacific completes sale of the southern portion of its Delaware & Hudson line

It will be very interesting to see if this transaction results in additional traffic over the route. I assume NS has such plans if they were willing to pay $214 million for the route.
  2. A

2 offers BNSF and CP, track or train???

Well that seems like a personal choice based on your interests. Personally I like railroads but have no interest in being a track laborer. It also seems like a very physical job so I'd consider the longevity factor as you age compared with a job on the trains. If time spent at home is an...
  3. A

Moving from maritime to rail

I am not expert but I think you would have to start at the entry level because of the union agreements. Your current schedule is pretty nice too. Work hard but then plenty of free time to play hard too.
  4. A

Tuscany 2013 - 1: Verso l'Italia! (50 p.)

Interesting I was in Pisa just a few days after you on April 22. I short trip over in that area. The one disappointment I had was to find you can no longer take a day time train from Venice to Villach, Austria. Instead you have to use a bus. The only alternate is a night train..
  5. A

Railfan Harassment

I certainly hope our law enforcement has better things to do than arresting someone who flipped the bird. In all honesty if a train has blocked a crossing for 26 minutes I think you'd find a few officers flipping it off themselves. Its an awfully long time to completely block a crossing.
  6. A

One Man Trains BNSF

I recall in Australia they recently implemented automated trains with no crew. These were 100+ car freight trains not some automated subway system.
  7. A

A day with the E&N (SVI) - Dec 27, 2012

Nice pictures. It seems hard to believe this operation can be sustained in the long run. With so little traffic someone has to be losing money on it.
  8. A

CP Oil Train?

Well that is interesting. I wonder if it will become common to route oil trains through that route. It can't be easy bringing one of them down the hill into Field up there in the Rockies.
  9. A

RSS overload!

I read a few that perk my interest. Just like the regular threads. I scan lots of titles and open the ones in my area of interest. Its not particularly difficult to do IMHO.
  10. A

CP-to-write-down-Powder-River-Basin-option

What vapor ware are you referring to? I think of vapor ware in terms of software that hasn't been developed yet. But not sure what it means in relationship to energy sources.
  11. A

ColdTrain Intermodal Question

Ah thanks! Maybe I'll have chase the morning Z over there one day and get some pictures.
  12. A

ColdTrain Intermodal Question

I was reading some information about the Coldtrain Intermodal operations and the service continues to grow and serve new markets. I was wondering does anyone know which BNSF intermodal train I assume coming from Seattle stops in Quincy to pick up this traffic? It would seem this traffic...
  13. A

Restore Full Service on Amtrak's Sunset Limited

Uh, good luck with that. Let us know how it turns out for you.
  14. A

Report of Texas Eagle to Chicago

I'd be curious if you called the police in San Antonio and Houston if your perception of the risk to your car parked at those stations matches reality.
  15. A

Sounder from Seattle to Bellevue?

Seriously that sounds like a really long roundabout way to get from Bellevue to Seattle. Much quicker to grab a bus across one of the bridges.
  16. A

Daily number of trains?

That is a very interesting website. It seems the number of train movements listed are on the highend but still gives you a good idea of how busy a particular area is.
  17. A

BNSF OCS in Vancouver

Which Vancouver? The big international city north of the border or the little blip on the map just north of Oregon?
  18. A

Hitting the Tri-Cities this week. Where to go?

I went on my first trip to Walla Walla through this area 1 1/2 weeks ago. One of the interesting or unique things for me was to drive by (to my surprise) the RailEx facility. It is located down by the big sawmill near the short line junction to Walla Walla. As we all know its hard to predict...
  19. A

Amtrak's NEC WiFi Problems

I have used or tried to use Amtrak's WIFI service on the northbound Cascade service to Vancouver. It was frustratingly slow and eventually I gave up. However, if it makes Amtrak feel better a few weeks ago I took Heathrow Express into London. It supposedly had wireless service but I was only...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)