Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. B

British- looking for info- Vacuum Brake Co Ltd London

According to Wikipedia, as early as the 1860s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_brake
  2. B

British- looking for info- Vacuum Brake Co Ltd London

I know it was still in use through WWII. The passenger engine Dwight Eisenhour used during the war, that Britain sent over here for a tour was equipped with vacuum brakes.
  3. B

Great River Railroad

https://rockislandrail.com/great-river-railroad
  4. B

Looking for information on ALCO S1

There SHOULD be a serial number on the frame. If you can find it, that will help a lot. Without it, we're all going to be guessing.
  5. B

Mt Rainier Scenic Railroad to return to operation soon!

That's great news! I have fond memories of riding there.
  6. B

Why so much foriegn power on CN?

CN owns Wisconsin Central, so it's logical to use power from its subsidiary if needed.
  7. B

A Warning to any who wish to work for Class 1 Railroads

Unfortunately, the Railroad industry doesn't have the market cornered on this stuff. A manager where I worked was supposed to get a huge bonus at the 60 day mark, he was summarily fired on day 59. I'm sure it was just a coincidence about the timing...
  8. B

Railroad items

Like I said, maybe $20.
  9. B

Railroad items

Th e Zippo lighter may be worth $20 or so, if it works, the other stuff, probably not even that.
  10. B

Cab Video of Brightline Crash

The Law of Gross Tonnage still applies.
  11. B

Brakes

Set the hand brakes on a specified number of cars in the train.
  12. B

Question about reused old track section.

Yes. Railroads were early adopters of salvage and recycling.
  13. B

Mantua Loco Bell

Welcome to the forum. Your question would probably be better posed in our model railroad forum, https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php .
  14. B

Question about engines used to help push a train

Not really sure what this has to do with the topic at hand...
  15. B

Greetings (Again)

Welcome. Have you joined our model railroad forum? https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php
  16. B

Freight cars paid by USAID , Made in Japan for South Vietnam Railways in 1966-67

The unreadable plaque has the initials "LTD" in the name. That should indicate they were built somewhere other than the United States. My initial feeling is Japan, possibly Hong Kong, though they weren't known for building rail cars there.
  17. B

Oops! We ran into some problems. Your content can not be submitted

In some instances there is a time limit on editing, there may also be a limit on total number of edits per post. These were limits put in place to counter the bad actors, but sometimes the good people have to feel the restrictions.
  18. B

I can also see it. Interesting subject matter.
  19. B

I just checked your permissions, and it looks like you should be able to post a photo. If you can’t it may be because you are using a format the forum doesn’t like. Try posting a photo in a jpeg format, in this thread if you would like, to make sure it “works”.
  20. B

You haven’t crossed the line, it is the thousands of spambots that have come, registered, and immediately dumped tons of spam links and lurid photos onto the forum that have caused the restrictions we now have in place to be here. Because of all that, you will need to make a number of...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)