Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Ragnar

What kind of horn is this? (on BNSF #2083)

I hear a variety of horns throughout the day, some more melodious than others. This morning BNSF 2083 went by in Seattle and I thought, "wow, that's a nice sounding horn!" Can anyone tell me what kind of horn is on the #2083? Here's the best pic I could find online...
  2. Ragnar

Has technology really made the hobby (and your life) better?

Ok, this is not a new or very profound topic. But as I was sitting here looking at old photos in the "nostalgia" section on trainorders, I got to thinking that the railfan hobby was just as fun, and maybe more fun, back before digital technology invaded our lives. Digital cameras are fine, but...
  3. Ragnar

N.P. Railway University?

Northern Pacific (Railway) University? I was riding my bike past the U of Washington (Seattle) campus last friday evening on the popular Burke-Gilman trail. As the locals know, it was built on a former Northern Pacific branch. To my annoyance, a film crew had part of the trail blocked...
  4. Ragnar

Camp 6 Logging Museum (WA) -- video from the 80's

After work some nights I don't have much energy left for anything, so I find an interesting YouTube video to watch. Tonight I found this old one (from the 80's) showing an operating Shay locomotive (#7), at the Camp 6 Logging Museum in Tacoma, WA. My understanding is that the Shay is currently...
  5. Ragnar

Polson #70 at Mt Rainier -- When is first expected excursion?

Noticed on another forum that Mt Rainier Scenic Railroad (Elbe, WA) has about completed restoration of Polson Logging #70. Question: Does anyone know when the first scheduled, public operation of the engine will be? I noticed there is a "triple-header" scheduled for May 21 of this year that...
  6. Ragnar

C.M.St.P.&P. -- The Everett Line (WA)

In another thread on the Milwaukee in western Washington, I was asked: "Just out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to have train order No. 208, dated April 5, 1935 addressed to Extra 7201 West and copied at Duvall, Wash. in your little cigar box would you?" Since it's a new topic, thought I...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)