Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Bob

CMQ Transfers Maine Branch Line Ops to Finger Lakes Railway

Midcoast Railservice, Inc., a new subsidiary of New York-based Finger Lakes Railway, will assume the lease and operations of a 58.68-mile branch line in Maine from Central Maine & Quebec Railway US, Inc. (CMQ), effective Sept. 8...
  2. Bob

Heads Up People

We have been getting hammered. I've just installed yet another layer of spam filtering. Hopefully that will slow things down a while without totally blocking legit members from joining...
  3. Bob

How to post photos in the gallery?

Were you able to access that page recently, or is that an old photo? If you can still get to it, can you post the URL?
  4. Bob

CP Holiday Train Music Video

Music video featuring the CP Holiday Train. Not sure when this was shot, but it's from a previous year as they didn't run this season.
  5. Bob

What is this?

Anyone work on a rail grinder crew? Could this be the slag from a rail grinder? I'm thinking that's a more likely answer.
  6. Bob

What is this?

Here's a video of the process we utilize.
  7. Bob

What is this?

Fossilized dinosaur droppings. Ok, I have a theory, but I'm not sure. You say they're "everywhere"? Are there a lot of them, or just a few of them, but scattered around all over? It might be slag from welding the rails together, though it doesn't look like our slag usually does. But maybe they...
  8. Bob

What does this sign mean? A CP Rail section crew couldn’t tell me

Flanger sign. Tells the plow operator to pull up the flanger since there's a crossing there. It's visible now, but not when buried in snow. A flanger clears the snow from between the rails, to keep it from packing in and filling up the flangeways. Some plows have flangers on them, other...
  9. Bob

Unknown railroad objects

Those are definitely different, I've never seen anything like them. The New Haven one might possibly be a luggage tag? Or maybe a car seal? The Greenmass one is a total mystery, no way to attach it to something? Also hand made, so likely not something done in quantity.
  10. Bob

Disneyland's: The Viewliner (1957)

I think so, but I'm not certain. It's pretty much the main train, so I'm guessing it's in service, or would be if the entire zoo wasn't shut down for Covid. I used to do a lot of photography for the railroad there, and you're correct much of the route is no longer in service. The line to the...
  11. Bob

U.S. Senators announce pandemic relief plan, with funding for Transit and Amtrak

A bipartisan group of lawmakers announced a package of $45 billion in transportation assistance, and the offices of Senators Mitt Romney and Mark Warner said the plan includes $15 billion for transit systems, $4 billion for airports, $8 billion for private buses and $1 billion for passenger...
  12. Bob

Disneyland's: The Viewliner (1957)

Styled after the GM Aerotrain. That was the "train of the future" at the time, lightweight and quick. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to the hype, as it was essentially a string of GM buses on rails. It didn't have the comforts and ride qualities that rail passengers had come to expect. They...
  13. Bob

CSX's Foote receives Railroad Innovator Award

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/people/news/CSXs-Foote-receives-Railroad-Innovator-Award--62120 This morning, CSX President and Chief Executive Officer James Foote received the 2020 Railroad Innovator Award in recognition of his outstanding achievement in the rail industry. Foote will...
  14. Bob

Rocky Mountaineer Will Launch A New Train Journey In The USA For 2021

It's apparently a one way trip. I'm not certain, but it appears that once you arrive in Moab you're on your own. They only mention breakfast on board on the second day, and the train appears to arrive mid day. Since the run from Denver is one way, they're offering trips on what would...
  15. Bob

Rocky Mountaineer continues to get good press on the new route. The U.S. Is Getting an Epic New Glass-domed Train Route From the Rockies to Red Rocks https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/bus-train/rocky-mountaineer-train-rockies-red-rocks-new-route The southwestern U.S. is getting a...
  16. Bob

NJ Transit train derailment suspends North Jersey Coast Line. No injuries reported.

https://newjersey.news12.com/north-jersey-coast-line-rail-service-suspended-between-nyc-s-penn-station-and-long-branch-due-to-a-derailment Eight cars of a New York City-bound NJ Transit train derailed early Tuesday, leading to delays during the morning rush hour. The derailment happened in...
  17. Bob

NJ Transit train derailment suspends North Jersey Coast Line. No injuries reported.

Nov 24, 2020 https://www.nj.com/middlesex/2020/11/nj-transit-train-derailment-suspends-north-jersey-coast-line-no-injuries-reported.html Train No. 3292, due to arrive at New York Penn Station at 1:18 a.m. derailed about 12:20 a.m. near Woodbridge Station, according to NJ Transit. News12...
  18. Bob

Moynihan Train Hall in Manhattan to Open in January

The Moynihan Train Hall in the former Farley Post Office Building across from Penn Station in Manhattan is set to open in January, providing passengers with space that's a major improvement over the network of subterranean corridors that have served as Penn Station since the building was...
  19. Bob

Can someone please identify what these signs represent ?

Yep, sorry to say those are highway markers for things like bridges, culverts etc.
  20. Bob

Rocky Mountaineer has always had very high pricing. They're targeting the luxury land cruise market, not railfans. With limited capacity and limited runs, they have to make a good profit on each ticket. The people that are buying these tickets are the same people that are buying the luxury...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)